We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is This Exhausting or What?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
335 posts
330 reviews
Save Topic
Is This Exhausting or What?

We live near Philadelphia and are headed to Orcas Is. for a wedding in July. I am looking for a side trip beforehand and stumbled on the Tofino-Ucluelet area through the NY Times " The 31 places to visit in 2010". I have spent many hours online and talkng to all the ferry companies you can think of and now plan to call about air travel...which I know will be too expensive. First I thought we should fly into Vancouver and head toward Nanaimo but now I'm thinking Seattle and take the clipper to Victoria, rent a car, and drive (Is it really 5 hrs?) My BIGGEST problem seems to be getting to the wedding on Orcas. I will have to cancel our Thurs. night stay on Orcas as the private ferry company, Victoria Express, only runs Fri.-Mon. to Friday Harbor. We would leave at 9 am (Thurs. night we stay in Victoria) so we can get an afternoon WA state ferry over to Orcas. I am beginning to think this is too much even if we take a week. Should mention we have never been to the Pacific coast and I want beautiful scenery...the Wild Pacific Trail is what started all this (well actually, the wedding did!). Should we just stay in the San Juan Islands and relax.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
335 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is This Exhausting or What?

Plans are set and reservations made so no backing out now! One night in downtown Seattle,one night in Victoria travelling by Victoria Clipper, rent car and drive to Tofino the next day where we will stay 3 nights. Head back to Victoria,spend the night,drop off the car and hop on Victoria Express to Friday Harbor. After lunch on/near the dock (any suggestions?) jump onto WA ferry to Orcas where we will stay 3 nights for the wedding. Hopefully there will be no ferry cancellations due to bad weather and we will make the rehearsal dinner in time. The final day we will go with friends in their rental car to Anacortes by ferry. If time permits we will head to a local winery (St. Michelle) before taking the red eye from Seatac to Phila. with them. Arrive in Phila. at 6 a.m. OK...the question from 3 months ago remains the same,"Is This Exhausting or What?" Thanks to all for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is This Exhausting or What?

Well done! My only observation is that getting from Anacortes to SeaTac may take longer than you think on I5. It's a multi lane divided highway but it is often so busy traffic stops and edges along. You should have the benefit of the express/HOV lanes with multiple pax.

I have no idea if taking the 405 instead, just south of Everett down through Bothell, Kirkland, Bellevue and Renton to the 518 west to SeaTac would be of any benefit. Someone else would be able to comment on that.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Is This Exhausting or What?

Sounds like a good plan! I'm glad you were able to plan for 3 nights in Tofino, in particular.

I like the Market Chef above the ferry terminal parking lot in Friday Harbor for good sandwiches, salads, etc.

Re Mufti's comment: 405 is not a good alternative (unless you do go to Ste Michelle, in which case you'll have to take it). It's almost always more backed up than I-5 and is just 2 lanes in many places (by the way, we don't say "the" 405, etc here in Seattle, that's a California thing!).

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
335 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is This Exhausting or What?

We do want to go to Ste. Michelle. Our flight leaves Seatac at 10pm. Is there enough time to ferry from Orcas to Anacortes, drive to the winery and check it out, return the car at the airport and check in at least 1 1/2 hrs. ahead of departure? I have spent sooo much time planning Victoria/Tofino that I have let the wedding on Orcas and the return to Phila. just "happen"!

25. Re: Is This Exhausting or What?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 20, 2010