We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Rim with kids

Grand Forks
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Pacific Rim with kids

I am looking for a beachfront place to take my 2 and 6 year olds. My Dad will be joining us and he tends to like the more rustic, independant accomodation. We need 2 bedrooms. Anyone with children have any accomodation and activity recommendations? Any walking tours to take with someone knowledgable in marine biology? Thanks, Barb

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

I'm going to drive over and check out Ocean Village Beach Resort this weekend in Tofino - my co-workers are saying it's rustic but FINE, and right on the beach and great if you have kids. I'm going with 3 grandchildren under 10 at the end of this month. I'll let you know how I find it... It also has a storm-watcher special right now, so the price is definitely right! More to follow...

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Village Beach Resort
Ocean Village Beach...
1,330 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

Also forgot to mention that the Ucluelet Aquarium is open at this time of year, and they have a very knowledgeable young staff (it's on my list of things to do with the kids, along with whalewatching...) When are you visiting?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

One thing to consider-PFD's for your Kids to wear @ the beach.

Not to alarm you but rogue waves do happen and overall condition can be quite rough-having the Kids safely wrapped in a PFD would set your mind @ ease.

As to rustic that's tough most low budget accommodation is tied up by sportfishermen a year in advance.

Try contacting the Tofino C of C directly for leads.

http://www.tourismtofino.com/

For rustic accommodation Bamfield would be an easier option but not as easy to access.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

Really good idea about the PFDs... also, don't forget raingear!

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

Our trip over with kids was spectacular...beach is fantastic. The cottages are excellent - get a double on the beach (101-102 or 103) - that will give you a chance at privacy with a shutting door on the two bedrooms. The kids had a wonderful time - both on the beach and in the swimming pool at night. I can hardly describe how wonderful this trip was. The mini-aquarium was a delight (and we all learned a LOT) - the cottage was definitely better than expected. They DID take out the garbage each night - a blessing with diapers! And fridge/stove/microwave seemed new. The laundry was great as I mentioned in my article - nearby, cheap and immaculate! I can't say enough good stuff about this place. Wish we'd had longer because there is a LOT to do in the Pacific Rim Park, Ucluelet and Tofino!

Houston, TX, USA
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

Traveling to Tofino in August 2010. We are from Texas and I'm not familiar with the term PFDs. Could someone please explain? Also, I'm not seeing many accomodations that take kids. Is Tofino not really a good fit for kids? If it is, could you advise us on a place to stay that's around $200 a night. If you have any other ideas, and you have the time, please let me know where is a good place to take kids to see wildlife and isn't more than 4 hours from Vancouver. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

A PFD is a personal flotation device (used to be called a "life preserver". We were just at the Ocean Village Beach Resort - the double cabin, which is two bedroom and room for 6 - welcomed our 3 kids. The beach is PERFECT for kids. The rogue waves that were described above were not seen at this beach - but maybe at Wickininnish or long beach - this is more a sheltered bay. (Look at my pics and you might get an idea). There is SO MUCH to do with kids in the area that we were bemoaning only being here for 5 days. The Tofino outdoor recreation park in town centre even has a mini-zipline *(free). The Pacific Rim Park has many walks - even a boardwalk mini-hike. There's tons to do. The Ucluelet Mini Aquarium cost us $16 for the 5 of us - and we were there for about 2 hrs - the instructor was FANTASTIC and the exhibits had lots of hands-on stuff. They're working on outdoor displays as well. Yes, the west coast has tons for kids. But I agree, some of the larger more expensive hotels didn't seem to be set up for larger families. The Ocean Village Beach was $169.00 per nght (off season) - and that got us a whopper large comfortable (really comfortable) cabin feet from the beach (with a nice backyard, picnic table and chairs). We also loved their indoor heated salt water pool and hot tub - great for the evening "wind-down"... I really really suggest visiting them. .

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Village Beach Resort
Ocean Village Beach...
1,330 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

Four hours from Vancouver though - well, Tofino is about that far if you don't stop. HOWEVER, there are a few stops on the way that are fun - Coombs Market with goats on the roof and fun market shopping - Cathedral Grove part way over before Port Alberni - a MUST, and a great place to take a short walk and stretch your legs. You'll probably want to make a few photo stops as well - the windy road keeps opening up new beautiful scenery. Port Alberni itself also has a nice small park down by the (quay) water that is a good place to have a picnic lunch, or purchase from the vendors around there. Again - good "Leg Stretching" spot. There are a few not-to-be missed candy/icecream stops on the way too... So, leave yourself a bit of time to enjoy the trip across the island as well! Glad you're coming to visit!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,579 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

A note about rogue waves - they can happen. You can't see them coming and they can happen in good weather. No need to be fearful, just alert and cautious, and be informed enough to avoid particularly dangerous areas like surge channels. You didn't see one, which is terrific. They don't happen often, but they DO happen and visitors need to be aware of the hazard. An alert adult on a flat, open sandy beach can scoop up a nearby child and haul them to safety, but an unattended child is at the mercy of the waves. Rocky shoreline is much more dangerous (because the wave would cause you to quickly loose your footing and there is nothing to hang on to) and everyone should be wearing a PFD if you are exploring along rocks.

Two fairly recent stories - an 8-yr old last seen on the edge of a surge channel when dad when back to the cabin to grab his camera disappeared, and a woman who was standing on a log that was picked up by a wave, which overbalanced her and dropped the log back down on her, pinning her legs.

Again, I'm not trying to frighten people into not going, but just trying to clearly illustrate the risks so that people are informed and alert. Thousands upon thousands of people visit Tofino every year and have a wonderful time and love it. You will to.

10. Re: Pacific Rim with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 02, 2010