We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest place to stay in Tofino?

winnipeg
7 posts
Save Topic
cheapest place to stay in Tofino?

Hi, I am going to Tofino for 3 nights middle of april.

I would like to know what is the cheapest place to stay.

I am going there to surf and would like to know where are exactly the good spots and see if i can go there by walk. I don t have a car but do hitchhiking.

I would like to know too what is the cheapest place to see the bears and if it is possible to see bears at this time of the year.

Thanks!

Ays

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
BC
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest place to stay in Tofino?

You could try the hostel: http://www.tofinohostel.com/rates.htm

You may have better luck in Uclulet. Less touristy, possibly a bit cheaper?

www.uclueletlodging.worldweb.com/Hostels/

I think you would need a car or hitchhike to get from either tofino or uculet. You could always camp at one of the many campgrounds right on the beach if you brought camping gear - definitely best option for surfing. Cabins along the beach are generally more expensive.

You could see bears in April, along the roads etc if you're lucky - dont know about tours, hostels would probably have info.

winnipeg
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest place to stay in Tofino?

thanks about your answer.

Unfortunately, don t have camping gear.

I saw this hostel already :) they told me to do a reservation. Do you think that it will be very busy middle of april during a week end? i don t know exactly which day i will be there...:)

Is it far from the good surfing spot?

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest place to stay in Tofino?

You night also try the Tofino Botanical Garden's Field Station: www.tbgf.org prices start at $32 a night. It is closer to the beaches than any of the places right in Tofino but depending where you are surfing it will still likely be too far to walk with a board. I don't think it is too hard to get a ride as every time I am there I see people with boards hitching rides on the side of the road.

You can definitely see bears at that time of year. You might see them on the side of the road, sea kayaking in Ucluelet Harbour, www.oceankayaking.com/day.html , or on a boat tour out of Tofino. The boat tours would give you the best odds of seeing them but I am not familiar with who has the best price.

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Ucluelet
Ucluelet
Vancouver Island, Canada
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,946 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest place to stay in Tofino?

Tofino without a car will be challenging,, the best beaches are not within walking distance of each other. I did notice a few local guys with surf rack homemade modified bikes.. ( bicycles) which would work ..

We stayed on Cox Bay and the waves were always up there, but there was another beach we had stopped at,, and there was a campground on it,, but no surf there.

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Cox Bay Beach Resort
Cox Bay Beach Resort
349 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
5. Re: cheapest place to stay in Tofino?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, October 25, 2009