We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching in Tofino

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
7 posts
Save Topic
Whale watching in Tofino

I'll be touring Canada for a month and would like to see the whales. I'm having trouble deciding between Tadoussac and Tofino. Can anyone give their advice or experiences on either.

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching in Tofino

I don't know about Tadoussac, but is there a particular species of whale you're keen on? The reason why I ask is because there are 2 different kind of whale watching excursions off Vancouver Island. On the west coast (where Tofino is), it's mostly grey whale watching, whereas on the east coast of Vancouver Island (mainly out of Victoria), there are 3 pods of resident orcas (killer whales) - so this is important in deciding on where to go, at least for the west coast portion of your trip!

Also, what month will you be arriving? There are certain seasons for whale watching... I just want to make sure you're here at the right time!

Sydney
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching in Tofino

I'll be in Vancouver Island at the end of September. Will I still be in whaling season?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching in Tofino

That's going to be the tail end of the whale watching season, but I suppose it really depends on the company. It's just that the days start to get shorter after September, and of course, with the fall rains starting to come, it's generally pretty "blah" conditions, so whale watching companies often close for the season.

There are still going to be whales in the local waters, but at least the whale watching companies out of Vancouver stop in October.

castricum...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching in Tofino

We made a whale-watch tour in Tofino last month but were very disappointed. We only saw one grey whale in a far distance and the whole tour was rather rough. Even the bald eagle was not in the tree at the harbour entrance. We were not really satisfied with the touroperator (Adventures Pacific). In the morning we did a bear-watch tour with them of 3,5 hours but we were in port already within 2 hours 50 minutes. We did see bears but they took 40 minutes off the tourduration.

For the afternoon whale watch tour we got the impression that the driver really did not know where to look. It was his first tour that day he said.

In Victoria we did have far better experiences. Humpback whales and orca's and the driver did exactly know where to find them.

D. Gorter

The Netherlands