We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Tofino .... which side of the ocean?

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Tofino .... which side of the ocean?

Hi all,

I've been in Tofino quite a few times and each time I've stayed on the open ocean side (either camping or at Ocean Beach Village Resort). This summer I'm taking a special someone over there and was wondering if it's worth considering staying at the other (quiet) side of the ocean? I've read reviews for Red Crow and like the idea of being able to canoe for a bit etc.. But overall, for someone that has never been to Tofino before, which side of the ocean would make for a nicer stay?

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Tofino .... which side of the ocean?

I'm a bit confused by "the other side of the ocean"... because that would be over in Japan. :) Unless you mean, the other side of the peninsula (ie: in Ucluelet), or the other side of Clayoquot Sound (north of Tofino?... but I'm unaware of places to stay there)

I think anywhere in Tofino would be spectacular for a first-time visitor. The first time I ever stayed there was at the Ocean Village Resort and loved it. :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Tofino .... which side of the ocean?

I wouldn't mind Japan at all :)

By the 'other side' I meant .... when you are driving from Ucuclet to Tofino, on your left hand side you have open ocean and big waves, there's McKenzie beach and Ocean Village Resort. I have found quite a few B&Bs on "the other side" of the road - right hand side. I have always been so mesmerized by the open ocean of McKenzie Beach/Long beach that I never wandered north ... I assumed that ocean on the right hand side of the big road would be quieter and calmer .. is this the case?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Tofino .... which side of the ocean?

I understand now :)

The open Pacific ocean is on the west side of the peninsula (where the Ocean Village Resort is), and the other B&B's you're talking about are on the east side of the peninsula, not overlooking the open ocean, but overlooking "Browning Passage" (according to this map - http://www.tofino-bc.com/img/maps/peninsula.gif)

I'd say, without experience mind you, but as a geography student who has studied that area, that anything along Browning Inlet will be sheleted and less wild than anything along the west side of the peninsula. It's the west side that really gives Tofino it's character, so for a first time visitor, that's where I'd go. :) But that's just me. It's just that, sheltered ocean inlets (which is west of the town of Tofino) can be found elsewhere on Vancouver Island and coastal BC... you might as well go for something stunning :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Tofino .... which side of the ocean?

Whoops! Sheltered ocean inlets (like the one EAST of Tofino!)... can be found elsewhere.

Hehe...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Tofino .... which side of the ocean?

Thank you Robyn!