We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Canada

north wales
2 posts
Save Topic
First time in Canada

We are planning a holiday Canada on 19th Sept for a 15 night stay . This will be our first visit and I,m torn between touring the Rockies or taking a more leisurely route around the V.Island area.

I thought it would be good to do

Vancouver 2 nights

Whistler 4 nights then drive to

Horseshoe bay , Ferry to Nanaimo drive to

Tofino 5 nights

Victoria 4 nights to explore North of VI

Would this give us a varied trip with scenic driving but lots of time to really enjoy day hikes,nature,bears and whales etc

Can I improve on this to get the best out of the area?

Also should I be booking nature trips and ferries now?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Canada

Nice plans you have! You might want extra time in Vancouver and maybe cut a day from Whistler. Lots of outdoor experiences right here in Vancouver's Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, and along the waterfront. Ferries do not require pre-booking, but can be reserved on-line when you get here if you like. Would be good to research the types of nature trips you are interested in before you get here, so then you can just finalize once here. September weather is generally nice fall weather, without a lot of rain, but that is not a given. If it helps decide regarding the Rockies - more chance of encountering early winter weather in the mountains in September than the route you have selected.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Canada

Depends on the pace you like to travel I suppose... I personally think 15 days is ample time to see the highlights of Vancouver, VI, and hit Banff and/or Jasper National Park areas. I might even take the "long way" and spend a day in the Okanagan Valley on the way. Obviously I've never road tripped with children...

I'm not sure what "Victoria 4 nights to explore North of VI" means since Victoria is South Island, but based on the interests you've listed you don't seem like the types to spend 4 days in a city.

Everywhere on your itinerary is stunning, you're going to love it.

north wales
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Canada

Thank you both for your input

Sorry, I obviously meant South of V.I exploring Victoria and surrounding areas. You are correct in thinking that we dont like to be in a city environment for long.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,918 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Canada

Sounds like a good overall plan with lots of time for Pacific Rim National Park which is the whole reason imo to go to Tofino..

only thing I would look at is basing yourself somewhere other than Victoria for the south part of Vancouver island.. you might look at someplace like Point no Point resort which is about 60 kms west of Victoria out past Sooke.. you could still do a day trip to Victoria but you would be well positioned to explore the south part of the west coast of the island which has a somewhat different feel from the area around Tofino

also look at post by Sam Salmon recently (March 3) under "two weeks dedicated to Vancouver Island" as he has posted many great links for outdoor things to see and do.

I wouldn't worry about ferries but the schedule will be different than the summer one.. usually a few less sailings.. you aren't travelling on a holiday weekend so shouldn't be an issue unless you are trying to time catching a plane! I would possibly look at booking for bear viewing if you plan that depending on what/where as it will be prime season and some tours may fill up.

5. Re: First time in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 17, 2009