We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino or Campbell River

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tofino or Campbell River

I am visiting Vancouver Island in October this year as part of my honeymoon. I have 2/3 days to spend either at Tofino or Campbell River before heading to Victoria.

Where's best to go for a a late 20's early 30's couple who are looking for some bear and whale watching trips ??

Plus which companies would you recomend ?

Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

Definitely Tofino--it's a spectacular place for a honeymoon.

I've did a trip to Hot Springs Cove with Remote Passages and we saw whales and a bear on the way--but there are any number of companies that do a good job.

Durham
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

We were in Tofino last summer and did whale watching trips with Jamies whaling station who were very good, also did bear watching and saw lots of bears. We also did a trip to the hot springs which are very good and we saw sealions, bald eagles, sea otters and whales on the way. hope this helps danmat2

glasgow
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

i was in that area last year, and although i thought tofino was nice i'd recommend uclelet over tofino, really nice small town with good whale watching and i went on kayak trip there and saw bears, eagles etc etc. People very friendly.

Stayed in a great condo place, 5mins from the town centre, could probably dig up the link if you are interested.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

Thanks everyone for there input so far.

Any accomodation tips are greatly appreciated. We would like a nice secluded ldge with nice views from our room etc etc.

glasgow
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

i stayed here

pacificrimrentals.com/vacation_rentals/…

brilliant. all nice and new etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

Middle Beach Lodge south of Tofino would be my choice for a honeymoon--they have accommodations in a range of budgets but if your budget permits, one of their single cabins with a hot tub on the deck would be a fantastic choice for a honeymoon.

Having been to the area many times, I definitely prefer to stay in or near Tofino rather than Ucluelet.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

Wow - you could almost be me!

I'm just planning a honeymoon trip for 16 nights in Sept this year (arrive Sep 8th) and was wondering the same thing. Tofino looks great, especially the Wickaninnish Inn but then all the info I've found re bear watching seems to suggest heading to Campbell River or Port Hardy.

We also want to do some touring up to Whistler etc and across to fly back from Calgary but I'm beginning to think about spending more time near the coast and just doing the loop through Whistler-Lillooet-Hope-Vancouver for the 'non-coastal' stuff. Apologies for hi-jacking your thread but seems daft to start another one that's asking the same questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

I'd pick Campbell River, actually, any day of the week. You'd be able to do not only the whale watching, etc., but also have something to do at night! It's a fantastic community with lots going on, very friendly, small-town feel but with options for nightlife / arts / entertainment. Gorgeous views, too. You can take the ferry over to Quadra Island and rent some bikes; you could go on fishing / whale watching charters; you could wander around the quaint downtown sector. We stayed at Painter's Lodge a while ago and it was lovely. I also highly recommend the food at the Harbour Grill, right down on the water. Their filet mignon is the best I've ever tasted, anywhere. And the salmon, needless to say in Campbell River, is divine.

Have fun, where ever you choose!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

Happy, the honeymooners have their evenings well planned!

For a honeymoon (and most other occasions) I'd opt for Tofino over C River.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tofino or Campbell River

ROFL! Good point!