We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful place, rude service

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful place, rude service

Hi,

Got back on 9/16 from a 10 day trip that included 3 nights in Tofino.

Gorgeous!

I travel alot and tip pretty well. I'm not looking for someone to fawn over me, just say hi and do their job.

We were actually snarled at by the teenage help when we went to People's Drug at 7:50, it closes at 8. They literally threw my purchases back at me and screamed, "It's Friday night at 8, what else do you want?"

I chalked it up to an ignorant person, told her she was rude , and left.

Thw wife and I dropped $120 at the Schooner for a waiter that couldn't explain anything on the menu ( didn't try either) and very ordinary food. She pointed at a table and grunted when we were seated. Want a water refill? Sure, ask two or three times and you might get one after you're done eating. Maybe. Don't waste your money here.

The Tofino Motel--I pointed out the bathroom in our room wasn't cleaned and they left their windex on our counter. He sid he'd get the Windex but wasn't going to clean the counter because "all of our stuff was on it".

Excuse me? My toothbrush, etc was "all that stuff"? Has this guy ever stayed in a hotel in his life? I doubt it.

Ate at Blueberries in Ucluelet. Stood at the door in front of the Wait to be Seated sign. The waitress loked up and said" Well, are you coming in or not?" This is a coffee shop/cafe. A guy came in and asked for coffe at 2:30, they close at 3. She said they didn't have any coffee and when asked when some might be ready her reply was " I don't know." Then she walked away.

I could go on but you get the drift. I didn't expect 5 star service, I know this is Tofino. The people most places were local kids who could care less, were tired after a long summer of working, and were a joke when it came to competence or just being pleasant.

If you're unable to run your business or staff it correctly, then close for the year. Prices were still very high, service was non-existent.

Noticeable exceptions!!!!

Common Grounds

Tuff Beans

Sobo

Big Daddy's Fish and Chips

Good value and great service, nice staff.

Vancouver was great, we liked Quadra island, the trip wasn't a disaster, but the people in Tofino went out of their way to be jerks and pick your pocket at the same time.

Will I go back? Maybe but after long thought.

The rain forest at Cathedral Grove was better than the hikes in Tofino, loved little River Falls. Not sure if Tofino is worth the trip or not.

Mentioned in this post
The Schooner Restaurant
The Schooner Restaurant
1,392 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Ucluelet
Ucluelet
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

Joey-Thanks for the info-as per my earlier response on the Bear threads it's not surprising.

I'm old enough to remember when there was a mythical place called *Long Beach* that everyone visited-a gorgeous stretch of sand.

Then bit by bit people started to talk more and more about Tofino-an undistinguished town in a beautiful setting.

Maybe it's been the Internet but the past 8 years or so that's all people talk about-it's on this Forum several times week if not daily as being *The* place to go-forget anywhere else.

Property values have skyrocketed, visitor numbers are through the roof and low wage jobs are everywhere-so much so that local hotels are bringing workers from the Philippines.

The trouble in paradise is that those workers live packed in tiny basement rooms/trailers/kips in the bush and are paid peanuts/receive no training whatsoever.

The end result is what you've posted-sub par service/poor value for the money-given the strong Canadian dollar Tofino is looking at precipitous drops in future visitor numbers and has only greedy business owners to blame.

I suggest you contact the local CofC with your experience someone somewhere might be listening.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
Washington
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

Hi Sam,

Sad but true.

One morning, sitting at Tuff Beans on the computer, a guy next to me asked if I liked Tofino. Seems his experiences had been less than pleasant also, so much that he asked a total stranger about it.

I could cite more examples but hey, I was only there three nights. How about taking a water taxi --$20 per person--to Meares island, being dumped off and told after the boardwalk runs out there will ba a trail with a sign that says closed. He said to ignore it, they were just concerned with liability and it was ok but we were to take it at our own risk. Alone. He would be back in two hours for us.

It's a shame, this place is beautiful but flawed in so many ways. Mostly the people that own businesses and work there.

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

We went there 13-16 september, and it was quite nice. It was relatively quiet (though the restaurants were still busy), we went to Schooner upstairs and thought it was a good experience (really liked the seafood) and to the Sushi bar (also really busy, but friendly and good). Big Daddy's is indeed very good! We did a kajak trip to Meares (which we liked very much) and a long walk on the (long) beach. We also had a good B+B. We really liked the place (that means: the sea, beaches and forests), but I agree the the village itself is not necessarily 'THE place to be (on the other hand there are not many other options on the west side that are as accessible). I don't think I would like to go there in the high season, it's probably loved to death then ( like many other places).

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

Glad you had a good experience.

The beaches and natural setting is great, I wouldn't go near there in high season either.

Maybe we were victims of bad luck but others mentioned the same things and a shop owner admitted it to us also.

new jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

We were also there a few weeks ago,and were excited to see Tofino/Ucluelet as well. It was our first experience in that part of the world,and it was honestly a lot of travelling for nothing. The beaches were OK and we loved all the outer island areas,but if you weren't hiking or on a boat,what else was there to do or see except eat?

Our experience at Schooner's was exactly the opposite. It was really one of the best meals we had (every course) of the entire 2 weeks. Service was great as well. No regrets there.

In hindsight,we wished we had stayed a few days in Whistler or spent more time in Vancouver or even gone to Victoria. Sorry,folks!

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Ucluelet
Ucluelet
Vancouver Island, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

I agree, Tuff Beans was great!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,950 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

In general I think you'll find customer service is better overall in the US. I spend a fair amount of time there and always notice the difference from Canada.

Like Sam I remember the "olden days" when we went to Long Beach and stayed in a plain little cabin and walked the beach..still have fantastic photo of DH and daughter on that beach that I look at everyday.

I prefer places like Englishman River Falls or the back part of Qualicum fish hatchery or going way up island to someplace like Quatsino Sound..or the Chilcotin ( Nimpo Lake) where there are few people, lots of trout, beautiful countryside and no internet cafes. Quatsino and the Chlcotin are harder to get to but worth the effort.

I usully tell people if they are going to Tofino they should go for Pacific Rim Park and hiking. Tofino itself,(and Whistler Village,) imo don't

really represent the fantastic outdoors that is "beautiful BC".

As a Canadian I want to apologize for the poor service you had..it's inexcusable even at end of season. I agree you should call the CofC..and thank you for the trip report.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Long Beach
Long Beach
Washington
Qualicum Beach
Qualicum Beach
Vancouver Island, Canada
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

The post is 2 years old.

9. Re: Beautiful place, rude service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, February 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tofino