We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

Edmonton
1 post
Save Topic
Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

I am travelling to Tofino in July, and want to camp in a tent. Can anybody reccommend a good campground. I have looked at Green Point campground which is near LongBeach in the Pacific Rim National Park and BellaPacifica campground 3 km south of Tofino.

I would be interested in hearing reviews of these 2 campgrounds or any other ones I'v missed.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

I havent been to either one.My brother goes to Bella Pacifica and loves it

Montana
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

We spent 2 weeks there last fall. We camped in a home-made camp trailer w/ a large canopy tent. Green Point, in the park, costs a little over $20 per night. The sites are nice, and the beach is uncrowded. The camp sites overlooking the ocean are about the best we've ever been to, but they go fast. We camped in a forest site the first night, then pounced on an ocean view site the next morning when someone vacated. It seemed to be a daily game for folks arriving there. Green Point is about 20 minutes from Tofino, but you can get ice and a few items at the campground.

Green Point closed for the season while we were there, so we shuffled to a private campground for our 2nd week. I think Bella Pacifica was somewhat affordable, but packed in tightly, and it just wasn't very appealing to us. Crystal Cove Beach Resort was amazing, in a gorgeous location! Truly a nice campground, w/ high speed wireless internet access at the main office/lodge/lounge building. The beach was nice, and the private cove spectacular. I've never seen a place so nicely manicured around the edges, while leaving nature intact at the same time. We are going back in May!

UK
Level Contributor
122 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

Hi, we stayed in Green Point in an RV last August for 3 nights. We thought it was a fantastic place - we stayed in the forested site which was dark and spooky but very atmospheric! The smaller sites suitable for tents overlooking the ocean were much lighter and looked gorgeous, but none of them were suitable for our RV. The beach is lovely and great for walking, and in fact we saw a black bear on the beach!

I would say if you wanted to stay somewhere very natural, quite basic and a bit wild then deifnitely try Green Point!

BC Rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

Our family has stayed at Crystal Cove twice, and love it!!! Once in a tent, and once in a tent trailer. We have looked into Green Point, but could not reserve in time.

Crystal Cove is more expensive, but it is very well run. Free firewood, free showers. It is on a small cove, and the beaches are wonderful. You have to drive to Long Beach, though. It is close enough to bike into Tofino.

Campsites are treed, and you aren't packed in tight like you are at other campsites. Our experiences at Crystal Cove have always been wonderful!!! I will always stay at Crystal Cove if given a choice. Have a great trip!

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

Hi Martin, I too am planning a tent camping trip to Long Beach area this summer and was wondering if there are any new camp sites there. Green Point is definitely the best in terms of west coast experience, the beach of course being awesome and it is simply too big to be crowded ever, great surfing but beware the undertow. The down side to Green Point is the lack of showers but one can always fashion a shower using wilderness skills I guess. Although you are a distance from Tofino at Green Point you are actually equidistant from both Ucluelet and Tofino and both are well worth seeing as they are truly at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I have camped at Crystal Cove twice and it is a very well run and clean campground but had very sharp gravel everywehere up to 2 or 3 years ago, dogs hate it as it is hard on their paws. McKenzie Beach is not a surf beach and is rather small but still very beautiful. Me, I go to the west coast for Long Beach so I would choose Green Point but if you were wanting to spend a lot of time in Tofino with all of the touristas then Crystal Cove is probably your best bet. Also, if it is a short walk to Tofino so if carless you would be best at Crystal Cove as close to shops. Bella Pacifica cannot compare to either of the others.

Am sure you will enjoy whichever you choose, they are both great places to stay.

Jan

Pitt Meadows...
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

We have been going to Tofino every June for the last 6yrs, and each time we get a beachfront site at Bella Pacifica, Its amazing., campsite 11 or 17 ( 17has a lower area where you can move your picnic table and have a incredible view for dining. I have never found the oceanfront sites crowded. At the Bella Pacifica, you cant be over 21 feet in length to be oceanfront, if you are larger you must be up in the Terrace area, or the forested sites. Also you are looking at 45-48 per night. The facilities are really nice, and clean. We have tried to book Green Point and usally its filled. Check out the Bella Pacifica website, and if you go and stay there oceanfront you will not be disappointed.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

I agree with Puddlejumpers, we've really enjoyed Bella Pacifica too.

If you can get those lower sites, even better, but last time we were on a terrace site, and it was private and the view was spectacular. Better than anything I've ever had at Green Point. The other thing that made us steer away from Green Point in recent years are the list of rules about what you can leave out at night - a previous poster mentioned seeing a bear there, and that is why. I recall you can't even leave out towels or a tablecloth? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall the rule-list was not conducive to a relaxed trip. I'd rather be careful and smart about what's left out, but not needing to pack up my entire site every night.

Somewhere on another recent post, I listed my favourite BP site numbers - if interested, you could search under my posts and find them.

BTW, we've never tried Crystal Cove - sounds like we should!

k

Pitt Meadows...
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

keishaw, you are right about having to put all your items away, our inlaws were at GreenPoint last spring, and for safety reason, almost everything had to be put away after dark, and there were quite a few restrictions. As for Crystal Cove Resort, we trekked down the beach to check it out, the campsites are set quite far back, the resort is like tucked away in a corner, I didnt like the location. The price is the same, and why not have beach front. We have reserved only once at Bella Pacifica, and showed up and taken a chance the rest of the time, we have never been disappointed. Only once did we spend two nights in the Terrace section, and the balance below on the beach. Our truck and camper are just over 22ft in length, they are not too stickey with the measurements of vehicles. This is the best place to stay, unless you go for gold and stay at the Long Beach Lodge Resort, by far the nicest place to rest your head.$$$$$$$

British Columbia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

I've stayed at Bella Pacifica, Green Point and Crystal Cove. I will NEVER go back to Bella Pacifica - enough said. Green Point was lovely for tenting, but for services you can't beat Crystal Cove. They get my vote and my money every time.

10. Re: Camping in Tofino. green Point or Bella pacifica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 07, 2010