We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long beach lodge v best western hotel

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
855 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
long beach lodge v best western hotel

Trying to decide between the two hotels. Any suggestions? Both have oceanfront rooms available our dates. Help with suggestions welcome.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

Long Beach Lodge would be the 'fancier' choice. McKenzie Beach is more a family oriented beach whereas Cox Bay is less so.

Both nice. I'd go with Long Beach Lodge.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach Lodge Resort
Long Beach Lodge Resort
3,393 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Cox Bay Beach Resort
Cox Bay Beach Resort
349 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
855 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

I think so, too. Is LBL one of the nicer hotels in Tofino? Is the beach area nice?

We ate at a restaurant, the Rain Forest Café or something like that a long time ago. Do you know if it is still in business? I may not have the name correct. Is Shelter a good restaurant? We ate there a long time ago, too.

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

I've a great experience at Shelter, and a not so good one. Lunch, not so good, because of the server. We hoped it was a "one off", and decided to go back for dinner anyway. I did write a review for it, so if you click on my name, you can scroll down to find it.

The Schooner is a nice one too, and for something truly different, try the Wolf in the Fog.

Mentioned in this post
The Schooner Restaurant
The Schooner Restaurant
1,487 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Wolf in the Fog
Wolf in the Fog
1,730 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Coombs
Level Contributor
710 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

I answered you on your other post about the hotels . Rain forest cafe was fantastic, my go to place every time I was in Tofino. Unfortunately they closed a few years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
855 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

thanks. we loved the rain forest café, too. Are the chefs from that restaurant working elsewhere now?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

We love Tacofino

https://www.tacofino.com/

We also had one good and one awful experience at Shelter. The good was very very good - food, ambience etc. The bad had to do with a couple of very drunk men who disturbed the entire dining room. The manager did nothing. When the guy fell asleep on the table, the manager walked but and patted him and said "hey buddy you can't sleep here" but walked away and let him continue. His sleeping was actually a relief as before that he fell into a table of a family having dinner. The whole thing was a very uncomfortable sh*t show.

Edited: 11:52 pm, August 02, 2017
Coombs
Level Contributor
710 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

I heard the chefs went back to Vancouver unfortunately

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
8. Re: long beach lodge v best western hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 05, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Tofino