We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

Hello,

Trying to plan my trip to Tofino. I will be staying in Vancouver and taking the ferry from Horseshoe bay - Nanaimo. From there we will rent a car and drive to Tofino. On our return to Toronto we have to make a 1:00 flight from Vancouver. I figure it will be very early, can someone give me an idea what time we will have to leave Tofino that morning?

Thanks for any advice.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

It takes about 5 hours to get from Tofino to Vancouver. So if you have a flight to catch at 1pm, you'd want to get to the airport by 11:30am at the latest. So you're looking at leaving Tofino by 6am and no later. And you'd have to make sure you got on a very early ferry. Most people would probably recommend overnighting near the airport, rather than risking missing your flight in case of ferry delays or an accident on the only road out of Tofino. These things are rare, but you wouldn't want it happening on the small window of time you have to make it from Tofino to the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

Alternately, you could just fly from Tofino back to the Vancouver Airport, although you might not be able to leave your rental car in Tofino.

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

Thanks for your reply. The more I think about it I think we might drive to Nanaimo that afternoon / evening and spend the night, piece of mind.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

Good call but Parksville would be nicer

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

Thanks for your reply, how far is Parksville from the ferry dock in Nanaimo?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

You want to take the Nanaimo/Tsawwassen ferry back, not the one to Horseshoe Bay, so that you're closer to the airport and don't have to drive into and through downtown.

But honestly I'd stay in Vancouver that last night just to be on the safe side. I just wouldn't want to have to deal with ferries the same day I was flying out--why add possible stress to the end of a nice vacation?

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

If you do decide to stay in Parksville or Nanaimo, which I personnally don't suggest, you need the Duke Point ferry terminal, not Departure Bay that you come over to. It's about 5 minutes south of Departure Bay and there are plenty of signs pointing the way. I'd also make a ferry reservation because you'll need an early one. I don't know when you're leaving but there's a 7:45 am out of Duke Point as long as it's not Sunday according to thier schedule.

bcferries.com/schedules/…tsdp-current.html

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated!

Breezed, why wouldn't you suggest staying in Nanaimo or Parksville?

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

It's not that they're not nice, it's that you don't have a lot of time if you're trying to make a 1pm flight. I'd stay in Vancouver the night before your flight. The ferry from Duke Point is 2 hours, you have to be at the ferry terminal 1/2 hour before the sailing, you must have a reservation because even during the week, the first ferry is busy. It just sounds like a lot of hassle that you could aviod by staying in Vancouver near the airport the night before you fly out.

Germantown, MD
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation time - Horseshoe bay - Tofino

We are looking at traveling between Tofino, Vancouver, and Whistler. Can anyone tell me what the best approach would be, starting in Tofino? We want to be able to enjoy the sea-to-sky hwy to Whistler, but are also trying to maximize the days that we have. We also have very young (3, 6 yrs) children traveling with us.