We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone reception

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
phone reception

hi,

just wondering what phone (talk and data) reception is like between nanaimo and tofino? i don't have a GPS in my car so i will be relying on google map and apps like Yelp when it comes to finding my way and deciding where to stop for attractions/a bite both on the way to and in tofino... will i run into any trouble with reception on the highway/beaches/trails?

thanks!

janice

calgary
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phone reception

Amazing that people were able to travel from Nanaimo to Tofino long before smart phones, gps, Yelp, etc. Etc.

Just keep your eyes on the well marked signs along the side of the highway and you won't have any problems finding your way.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: phone reception

>Amazing that people were able to travel from Nanaimo to Tofino long before smart phones, gps, Yelp, etc. Etc.

Those were the days!

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,387 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone reception

you do not need data to run GPS off a smartphone.

and Paper maps are free on the ferry and at visitor centres.

there is a whole rack of brochures on the ferry same level as cafeteria.

Edited: 12:12 am, June 11, 2017
Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone reception

thanks for your replies guys!

if someone can address the actual question of how reception is near the end bit of the highway and around Tofino once i'm in town, would be awesome : )

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: phone reception

You worry too much.

Coombs
Level Contributor
703 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phone reception

I am with Bell and never have any issues with data once I get to Tofino/Ucluelet. You lose reception between Sproat Lake in Port and Kennedy Lake, otherwise it is fine.

Mentioned in this post
Ucluelet
Ucluelet
Vancouver Island, Canada
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phone reception

There's one highway from Nanaimo to Tofino stay on it and it's impossible to get lost... plot your stops before you leave and as noted you can bring them up on apps like Google Maps even without data or wifi. Joys of modern technology and when that fails a paper map is an added bonus.

For phone reception it will depend on your provider and coverage maps are available on line. There is no issue in town or on the main highway corridor beyond the note above.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phone reception

Rule of thumb I follow when driving in BC outside of towns of any size (3000 or more): expect to see those little words " no service" in the top left corner of your phone. Cell service is getting better but you still can't expect your phone to work everywhere.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,387 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: phone reception

cell tower coverage www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

this is a view of the choice you have to make when you get to the end of highway 4 which is the only road https://goo.gl/maps/t9T1csmuHo22 and if you really need more help there is a visitor centre on the right just before you get there.

Tofino is about finding the off button on your smartphone..............you should give that a try to see the world from your own eyes; it is really amazing what you will see.

Mentioned in this post
Tofino
Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: phone reception

Download maps.me and appropriate local maps. It works with GPS on and no data. Good worldwide.