We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what to do?

Which Salt Spring Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay and what to do?

My husband and I are thinking about staying a few nights on Salt Springs Island as well as Galiano (maybe) and Victoria/Sooke area any suggestions on b&b's or inns? How is Sky Vally compared to Salt Springs Spa? Also thinking of taking a whale tour, are they worth it? Which one would you recommend?

Any help/advise would be great. We will be there from Sept 19th - 27th.

Thanks

Salt Spring Island
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

It really depends what you are looking for! The two places that you mention are quite different. One is a luxury 3 bedroom bed and breakfast, the other is a resort/ spa type setting using A frame type chalets.

One of the better descriptions of what there is to see and do appears on a site a Canadabbhosts.com. Cick through to BC then Salt Spring then "tour guide"

Try to spend 3 nights on the island to see everything from the studio tours to the gallery walks to the vineyards. Whale watching can be done out of Sidney a short 20 minute ferry ride from Salt Spring.

Be sure to make reservations if a weekend is part of your plan. The annual Fall fair and Apple Festivals are on at that time!

pensacola
Level Contributor
22 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

My husband and I discovered Salt Spring Island and Sky Valley Inn 4 years ago. We now go back each August. If you like Provence and the South of France, you would love Sky Valley Inn. It is small and quaint, overlooking the ferry coming into Long Harbor, The driveway is lined with lavender, the rooms all look out on the pool, and the house has its own orchard full of fruits and vegetables. It is as serene and relaxing as it comes. The delightful couple that run the inn are gourmet cooks that put out a breakfast spread of fresh baked croissants and lemon lavender scones,eggs, fresh picked berry tarts, and yogurt parfaits. We have always met lovely people around the breakfast table or sitting out by the pool. The inn is a short drive from town center or the innkeepers are happy to recommend artists studios and galleries to check out on a tour of the island. We love Salt Spring for its serenity, natural beauty, art, and friendly people.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Noticed somebody sent you to Sidney for whale watching, we where on the island a week or so ago. In the short time (2 days) we had to sighting with whales. One from the float plane (www.saltspringair.com) and the other much closer with a zodiac from Ganges harbour http://gulf-islands-safari.blogspot.com/)

didn’t stay at either of your choices, but my wife did go to the spa for a massage, its little out of the way, but amazing treatments and right on the water front.

Great fun, hope you enjoy your trip.

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Hmm....whales in Ganges Harbour? That's strange, because I have waterfront property in Ganges Harbour, and there have been no whales in this harbour for years. Actually, the whales you stated you 'saw' where last sighted by the San Juan Islands, which is in US Territory.....not exactly around Salt Spring Island.

The last whale in Ganges Harbour was beached several years ago and washed ashore by Moby's Pub.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Not a whale in Ganges harbour, I believe I said "the other much closer with a zodiac from Ganges harbour"

We had to go out at quite a rate (in the zodiac) to see the pod. When I say "much closer", I am referring to closer than when I was in the float plane, naturally as that was from 1000 feet up or so.

Was my sentence structure really that bad?

I think if you research a little more you will find the whales are abundantly found in an around the area.

I am sure I can find a site for you showing the recent location of the pods if that would be useful.

I house in the harbour that must be nice, and quite a compliment to Oregon.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

whilst i am worring about my sentance structure i shoudl improce my spelling that last line shoudl read -

"A house in the harbour, that must be nice."

forget about the Oregon bit

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

Spell Check should be your Friend :)

8. Re: Where to stay and what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Salt Spring Island