We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

Kitimat, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

Anything new on this route??? We are hoping to travel from Stewart to Prince Rupert via this route in June/2011. Any advice as to driving time, (sight seeing), in a full size pickup? How many KM of gravel road? We are 4 seniors!!

ANY & ALL ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

New since when? (Have you searched this forum for "Naas Valley" and "New Aiyansh" and read the postings from last year?) Here are the web sites that are referred to in some of those older postss - you should be able to get the answers to most of your questions there.

http://www.kurtknoll.com/lava.html

env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/nisgaa/

http://www.stewartcassiar.com

stewartcassiar.com/images/uploads/docs/sctcp…

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

it looks like from the map on this website http://www.stewartcassiar.com that it is a paved road.....but there are so many different reports!! it is very confusing. anyone actually driven it in the last few months and can give us a definite answer? thanks!

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

I understand it's all paved, but let me get confirmation on that ...

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

So, I was mistaken. It's paved from Terrace to New Aiyansh, but from Craberry Junction to New Aiyansh, it is a gravel forest service road. See:

stewartcassiar.com/images/uploads/docs/sctcp… - and read the description on the 2nd page. The road in from Cranberry junction is depicted in grey on the map, signifying gravel road. It is well-maintained.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

well, it USED to be in grey - now I see it's in black - no wonder it's confusing!

Kitimat, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

I just drove it North to South 2 days ago. It is 55 km from Cranberry Jct. to New Aiyansh and 50 km of it is rough gravel road. We drove a Ford Windstar with 4 adults and it took us over 3 hours with a 1 hour stop at a beautiful picnic site at Dragon Lake. It is a gorgeous drive as long as you are not in a hurry.

We only seen 1 other vehicle and 2 bicycles the whole trip so BE PREPARED!!!!!

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

Mack - great of you to report back. You had great weather for your trip - glad you enjoyed it. On my "to do" list for this summer.

Did you travel on the weekend - just wondering if there is logging activity.

Kitimat, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

No logging activity at all.

For totally up-to-date info phone BRIAN NESS...BC Forest Service...250-638-5100 in Terrace.

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

having just driven this road my advice is DONT DO IT!!!! We were told there had been a sighting of a spirit bear and her cubs and that is the only reason we went....but of course we didnt see them!! at any rate you spend more time looking for potholes and ways around the potholes then looking out for wildlife. It took us 2.5 hours to go 50 kms and the fastest we could drive was about 20kms/hr. drive down to highway 16 and then north from terrace...will be a much more pleasant trip for you :-)

10. Re: Road from Cranberry Junction-New Aiyansh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, June 21, 2013