We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Hi, We are a Scandinavia family with children on a Road trip looking for good Advice to Secure a safe trip. We have a minivan and rent. Are there any good and safe places (bed & breakfast or hotel/motel) to stay for a Night-stop? Is it correct that George town is a bad place to stop in at all? Would it be okay and safe enough to put up a tent and Can anyone recommend a good camping area?

Is there anything we should know before get the Highway? The mom to three children

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,277 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Burns Lake is a popular resort area, although you need to head south on route 35 off highway 16 to get to all the campgrounds.

https://www.visitburnslake.ca/

Its a bit of a detour, but a pretty spot.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Bit confused why you are asking about camping and staying in a hotel/motel?

You don't have to beat into the bush and camp in Burns Lake. Prince George has a rough crowd hanging around downtown, but no need to engage them. I stayed at a brand new Marriott there last month (woman on my own) and felt quite safe. There are also couple of hotels and motels on #16 heading west.

Smithers is a bit further on but a nice little city with a few hotels.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
3. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Thank you for your input.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
4. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Hi again. We just need a stay to sleep - it could be in a tent, in a motel or in a hotel... sorry for the miscommunication. Did you book the hotel or just stopped by?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,945 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Prince George is fine if you do not stay in the older hotels in the downtown area. It is a good drive from Jasper because after PG it is a long way before the next reasonable stop.

If you want another shorter day with sight seeing then staying in Smithers is a good location before making the journey to Prince Rupert.

this is a site with the public and private campgrounds in BC http://www.campscout.com/provstate/BC/

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

The Four Points by Sheraton on Hwy 16 is perfectly safe and clean, has a pool, and is close to family friendly restaurants such as White Spot, Earls, and Cactus Club. I have stayed there many times on brief trips to PG.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
886 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

Drive times:

From Jasper to Prince George ( PG) is about 5 hrs , give or take. . ( Don’t ever believe google drive times they are way off) You can do it faster, however 5 hrs is a good starter, you get there faster good for you.

PG is 1/3 of the way to Prince Rupert so I wouldn’t be stopping in PG for the night after leaving Jasper. I would carry on to aleast Houston or Smithers, or some point around those areas. Use Trip advisor and look up B&B’s around those towns or hotels in the area.

Also there is paving just west of PG on Hwy 16, towards Vanderhoof. The speed is reduced to 70 km/h for about 40 kms. ( give or take) Today because of the rain ( we did the drive ourselves today) the paving crews weren’t working, however tomorrow the sun is supposed to come back out and with that the paving crews will be back at work. I would be expecting delays for paving and road work on that 40 km stretch of road..

Have fun the road is beautiful

Soup.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,945 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert

SoupBC's plan brings up the question about whether you want to get to Prince Rupert right away or if you want to do some sight seeing and makes stops along the way

Getting further then Prince George in one day means you will just be driving to get there and not stopping at Mt Robson Visitor Centre to see the peaks or for lunch in McBride etc...

Reply to: Where to sleep with children? Jasper to Prince rupert
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted