We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in May

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
103 reviews
Mosquitos in May

Hey Locals! My wife and I are planning to camp and fish for two weeks at Lake Mezidin, and lakes in the Telkwa/Vanderhoof area. How bad are mosquitos the last week of May and first week of June? Any tips for preparation? Also, how should fishing be that time of year. Thank you so much!

10 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
885 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitos in May

Wife is from Stewart and hasnt been to the area in late May really June for many years and thinks your OK that early in the year. She thinks the Canadain Airforce shows up about the beginning of July and hangs out until about the end of August..but she can’t recal exactly.

Send a note to people that run the gas Sation at Meziadin Jct, they will most likely give you a better answer then we can.

http://meziadin.com/

Have fun up there.

Soup.

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitos in May

Thanks for the information. It's nice of you.

Vanderhoof, Canada
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Mosquitos in May

There will be mosquitoes in the Vanderhoof area but they won't be too bad. See https:/… for info on area lakes.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Mosquitos in May

Not sure how relevant this is but you might want to ask about other insects as well. For example, here in the Kootenays the issue in May is ticks.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Mosquitos in May

And wasps...

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
6. Re: Mosquitos in May

Horseflies are the worst! They take chunks out of you! I don't think they are up in that area though.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Mosquitos in May

Yeah, and leaches...cedar itch...field mice...thieving Steller's Jay and Whiskey Jacks. Fire Ants and Hogweed.

It's camping.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Mosquitos in May

Well Tim I wouldn’t put leeches and mice and Stellar jays in the the same category as ticks. Every year here we are reminded of how to dress to avoid tick bites and how to check ourselves for ticks after being outdoors. Mosquitoes are a bit of an inconvenience but nothing compared to the risk of Lyme disease. (A colleague’s daughter in Fernie suffered from LD for years before it was accurately diagnosed.). Now, the concern here in the East Kootenays is Rocky Mtn ticks, and I have no idea if similar ticks/risks exist where OP is going, just thought I would point out that mosquitoes MIGHT not be the thing to be worried about.

Edited: 10:10 am, January 06, 2018
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Mosquitos in May

Unless of course you are allergic to insect bites - my older dot is quite sensitive to mosquito bites and we have to keep a lookout that she does not develop anaphylaxis

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Mosquitos in May

EastBC; I get the concern over ticks and you were wise to raise it. All the other things mentioned are a part of camping that can be easily prepared for and dealt with. Mosquitos in May/June? So many factors, like temps, moisture, wind, location, etc. It's like asking will it rain in Vancouver or will there be flash floods in CA.

Reply to: Mosquitos in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted