We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

|Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
|Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

We will be arriving via train (Malahat) to Courtney and Nanaimo. Want to spend a day but want good info for a good nights rest and easy access to the accom from the train station.

Nanaimo, a bit trickier due to the fact must return the next day to catch a flight from Vancouver Int'l airport. Early flight 8:00am.

Any good advise if we should perhaps hotel a day before the flights in the city of Vancouver.

thanks to all who can assist us.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: |Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

Forgot to ask in prior post, perhaps not going all the way to Courtenay and stay at Chemainus, .......

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: |Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

Just trying to follow your itinerary which would aid in offering advice. The train leaves Victoria in the a.m., arriving Courtenay early afternoon. It' not the very next day that you need to be in Vancouver is it?

The handiest hotel to the train station in Courtenay would be the Coast Westerly. Our favorite place to stay would be the Kingfisher, and I am sure they would offer transportation.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: |Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

Sorry to all that I did not provide enough info. As you can tell I did it at 3:30 am.

We would take the train either May 17-18th. Hopefully we will see enough of Victoria by then.(3 days)We are uncertain where to get off the the train, but thought we would go all the way to Courtenay and then return back part of the way.(Nanaimo or whatever would be best means of transportation to catch our flight. The flight leaves on Sun May 21st at 800 am. So we have time to enjoy the island or Vancouver from May17/18 to May 20. We have to be at airport May 21 bright and early. Thank you, Mcorah. I hope this will help me to get some good responses. I really need you people for help. I want to enjoy this trip, but get a little tense thinking I will not make the airport. thanks everyone for your assistance.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: |Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

Hazzle

Another thought could be to fly to VCR from Comox.Pacific Coastal has rates of 79.00 and it is a quick 20 -25 min flight.This may be an option for you.You can google Pacific Coastal

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: |Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

Doesn’t appear you can spend last night on the Island & catch such an early flight next a.m. in Vancouver.

Thought it might be possible by air service, but first morning flight – from either Courtenay/Comox or Nanaimo (none from Chemainus) = around 7:00 a.m., arriving at Vanc. airport approx. 1/2 hour later – much too late for your 8:00 a.m. flight! To check yourself

pacificcoastal.com/flights/schedule.php#T2 from Comox

http://www.harbour-air.com/home/index.php – for flights out of Nanaimo, click the “New Route” icon.

Another Nanaimo air service = http://www.baxterair.com/ – but first flight is later.

If main interest is train ride itself, then best to go with your plan to take it to Courtenay, turn around, then get off at Nanaimo in order to take a later ferry (or 5:30pm air flight) to Vancouver.

If you want to enjoy the train ride but also tour a bit, then options are to take the train to either Chemainus – my choice, but involves extra bus ride, darn! – or Nanaimo (for ferry or air to Vanc.) or Courtenay/Comox (air flight only to Vanc).

In any case, for next day’s early flight, you will want/need to be close to Vancouver airport. Which means either using an air service to Vanc. airport + taxi to hotel, or taking ferry from (Nanaimo) DUKE POINT to Tsawwassen + taxi to hotel.

Note – I *think* you have to take a taxi to Duke Point – don’t think either city transit or PCL goes from downtown Nanaimo to this ferry point – but others might know better.

Since it seems to be a bit of a “hazzle” to easily arrange this part of your trip ... why not look into changing your flight to a more “civilized” time :-).

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: |Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

last post is correct there is no public transport to Duke Point, only taxi, approx $30.00 from downtown area. Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay may work, take bus on ferry to downtown Vancouver and Airport shuttle to the hotel you choose for the night, lots close to YVR and some offer shuttle to the APO on the morning of your flight. There are AirCanada flights from Nanaimo APO as well, not sure how early in the morning. Good hotel downtown Nanaimo is the Best Western Dorchester, close to the train station.

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: |Accomodations for Courtney and Nanaimo

last post is correct there is no public transport to Duke Point, only taxi, approx $30.00 from downtown area. Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay may work, take bus on ferry to downtown Vancouver and Airport shuttle to the hotel you choose for the night, lots close to YVR and some offer shuttle to the APO on the morning of your flight. There are AirCanada flights from Nanaimo APO as well, not sure how early in the morning. Good hotel downtown Nanaimo is the Best Western Dorchester, close to the train station.