We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

Which Kelowna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

Good morning.

We'll be in the Okanagan next week and looking to get out to a number of wineries for 3 days. I figure that 3 days of touring the wineries will be plenty and we should be able to hit 2 or 3 each day. Are there any absolute must-do's or any that we should stay away from? Are there any places that are renown for suppers or lunches?

So far we're looking at the following:

Gray Monk - along with supper there

Sumac Ridge

Quail's Gate

Mission Hill

(these are of course the big names that I recognise. I'd like to get out to others but there seem to be 60-80 wineries in this region.....a little overwhelming.)

along with a day in the Similkameen Valley to see a few places around Cawston and Keremeos.

Any help is appreciated.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

hey Dave

the wineries you have picked are very nice.. the view from mission hill is unbelievable. Last year we did do a little winery called mt.Boucherie its not to far from quails gate .. very nice wines coming out of there.. another one is i think sonora ranch? its on the highway 97 on the way to penticton from kelowna again great wines.. nice view... visiting wineries isjust an awesome way to spend some time in the okanogan . We always manage to come home with more wines then planned but its always worth it when you open them up in december:) Have fun!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

Just came back from there and visited Cedar Creek Winery - it's beautiful at that site.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

I really enjoy Hawthorne Mountain winery. It's just south of Penticton by the small town of Okanagan Falls. You drive up a gravel road along the cliffs to the top of the "mountain" (don't worry, we're not talking the Rockies... more like the side of the rolling hills that dot the Okanagan). Once at the top, the view overlooks the Okanangan Valley, and Skaha Lake's in the distance. The view's reminiscent of somewhere like Italy, or elsewhere Mediterranian! They also serve a delicious casual gourmet lunch off their deck next to the winery's gift shop/tasting room.

Another interesting winery is Nk'Mip, which is an aboriginal winery... possibly the only in Canada. It's located down in Osoyoos and is quite a unique experience. You can also have a wonderful casual lunch there.

For more of an upscale dining experience, you can try the Burrowing Owl winery in Oliver.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

Gray Monk for dinner is a great idea, dont forget that it is north of Kelowna, and kind of off the busy wine tour track, but worth it.

Also dont forget to eat at Summerhill! Best Creme Brule in the world!!

download this Local wineries tasting schedule.

tourismkelowna.com/visitors/…20Sheet.pdf

vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

Cedar Creek is my favourite. Best tasting wines for sure.

Summerhill I would avoid unless you like new-age California style place.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

My favourite is in Oliver - Burrowing Owl - the food in the dining room is terrific and service and ambiance all one could ask for. Last season they were building some B&B units, but I don't know if they're available as individual accommodations, or whether they are reserved for business groups.

We generally stay at the Adobe Rose B&B - www.adobe-rosebb.com. They have great breakfasts and comfortable beds. What more could one ask?

Vancouver
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

Burrowing Owl & Summerhill! Awesome!

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

I would avoid Summerhill - they cater to the busloads of tourists and in my experience had no interest in talking to you about their wines. The girls pouring appeared to have no wine knowledge. I did eat lunch there but don't recall how good it was or not - I just recall that I won't bother going back.

All the other ones named are good though. Mission Hill is very large but does a great tour and has knowledgeable guides.

Vancouver
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

Hey Vancouver Girl!...actually, my hubby & I, (also from Vancouver) have been out to Summerhill Winery a few times & felt it to be very worth it....mostly, because their wines are amazing and one of our faves! I guess we were lucky, for we've never encountered a bus full of tourists when we've been visiting and have always had top-notch service. The veiw from Summerhill Winery is also beautiful and worthwhile. Yes, Mission Hill is definitely must-do, Winnepeg_Dave, but be cautious about their restaurant....very, very, pricey and tiny portions!...atleast with what we ordered and when we went. As for overall, best wines? Burrowing Owl!

10. Re: Wineries.....any must-do's or avoid-at-all-costs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 13, 2009