We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

Which Kelowna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

My wife & I are travelling BC in June, and have booked a night stop off in Kelowna before moving on to Banff for 3 nights. Have we done this right, or should we take a night off Kelowna and have a fourth night in Banff instead? I'm worrying now that we've not left ourselves enough time to see Banff and surrounding area, and are spending too much time in Kelowna. Any advice?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,146 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

Kelowna is nice but Banff is better. But it depends on where you're driving from. If you're coming from Vancouver I'd aim for Revelstoke first night. Gives you time to check out the area and puts you closer to Banff. Also it's nice to be heading into Rogers Pass in the morning. Kelowna is a bit of a detour imo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,698 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

+1 for that! Kelowna and the Okanagan is nice, but I think its important not to confuse a traveling day with a touring day. When you are just driving through and spending the night, you aren't going to see all that much anyway, so you really have to figure out your priorities.

Assuming two things: that you are coming from Vancouver and you are NOT planning to include Jasper, yes?

The scenery really starts to get good from Revelstoke on, and so I really like to advise people to allow more time for the leg from Revelstoke to Banff by pushing further on the day from Vancouver. Of course, its even better to allow three or four days (or two weeks!!) to get from Vancouver to the Rockies, but most people only allow two days, so you have to cut your losses.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

Thanks for your replies. I've just noticed a typing error in my post, we have booked 3 nights in Kelowna, then move on to Banff for 3, then Jasper for 3. So reading your response, you think we'd be better taking at least one night off Kelowna & adding it to Banff?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

Is it necessary to commit yourself in advance? Kelowna (and the region), although different from Banff, is wonderful and beautiful. Gorgeous lakes, rolling hills, blossoming fruit trees, lovely vineyards, So three nights in itself isn't too long and maybe once you're there you feel it's too short. The weather can be great(sunny and warm), but then again, what if it rains? Are you going to stay?

Both regions have enough to offer for an entire vacation. So for travellers like us(from EU) it always comes down to making choices, just keep in mind that it's impossible to see it all in one trip.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

Yes, prefer to commit. It's the middle of June, & I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to find somewhere to stay, especially with my tendency to keep stopping the car to look at view points. I like the idea of 2 full days in Kelona to relax, but I know from past experience in the US that I'll love the scenery & activities around Banff more.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

I know what you mean(about stopping at every next turn). :-)

Two days Kelowna seems like a good idea.

I'm not a "Banff-man"myself, I prefer Canmore.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,146 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

If you like wine then 3 nights Kelowna isn't too much . Thought it was just a stop over on the way to Banff. Friends just spent a week in Kelowna and didn't run out of things to do/see. But sounds like you've already convinced yourself to add the night to Banff ...but I'm going to suugest you add it to Jasper instead. Why? well the Ice Fields parkway is one full day so you really only have 2 days in Jasper.. if you want to drive west towards Mt Robson that could use the better part of a day right there. Lots to see and do in Jasper area.. and fewer people than Banff so a bit "easier".

so 2 nights Kelowna, 3 nights Banff, 4 nights Jasper would be my take on it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,698 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

Ok, with that info, I'm going to suggest something else! :>

I'm going to suggest that you have those two nights in Kelowna, then stop in Revelstoke and then press on for Banff. Glad to see Jasper in there as well. I would travel between Kelowna and Revelstoke along the less traveled routes that includes some inland ferries:

http://goo.gl/maps/aOZ6t

9. Re: Kewlona, or extra night in Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 01, 2014