We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
266 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What is kelowna like and what to expect?

My husband and I live in the u.s / Illinois

And are visting friends that live In Kelowna for 9 days we have never been to Canada before pretty excited!

We will be there the second week in Oct

Just curious as to what kelowna is like? And what we should expect?

Mentioned in this post
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Its all in the interpretation.....

Your post 7 somewhat clarifies, then your post 9 rather undoes any good....

Edited: 1:27 am, August 17, 2012
Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
589 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Most golf courses still open, winery tours, good hiking, biking, fishing. Maybe take in a hockey game at Prospera Place, visit cultural district. You will enjoy our area and welcome.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Well you shouldn't have been all snarkey right from the start, as i was not and made a valid point

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,874 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Going to jump in here as well... I think telling the OP to ask her friends when she's specifically posted here is snarky and rude.. If the OP is asking here then there's a reason ..... we may not know it or understand it but it's a valid reason for the OP. I've personally been in a situation where I'm travelling somewhere and do know people there but still post questions as my local contacts may have a completely different pov than others do about the place.

Advising someone to read the Top Questions when they ask about driving to Banff is a completely different kettle of fish. Anyway I do hope the OP comes back and lets us know more specifics about interests etc.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Well i meant it genuinely as thats what i would do , and others agreed with me so if you feel that way that would be tour problem

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Sandy, on behalf of all hosts and hostesses who have had people arriving on our doorsteps expecting us to be the fount of all knowledge about where we live, I thank you. I am going to assume that you have already talked to your friends, since you are so enthused about your trip - coming all the way from Illinois, something you had heard about the Okanagan (where Kelowna is situated) caused you to plan a 9-day holiday. It is only courteous to your friends to try to find out more before you arrive.

Have they mentioned the southern Okanagan to you? Plug "Penticton", "Osoyoos", Naramata" and "Oliver" into the TA search engine for the BC forum and you will come up with more information. Kelowna is a small city and sprawls up and down Highway 97. There are lots of amenities and some lovely residential areas and parks along the lake. However, the southern Okanagan is my preference. It is Canada's only deserty country and the area around Osoyoos is the northern most extension of the great desert that starts in the southwestern US. There are small towns with some character to them and lots and lots of vineyards. It is about 2 hours from Kelowna down to the US border and inbetween there is some lovely country.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Okanagan Valley
Okanagan Valley
British Columbia, Canada
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Penticton
Penticton
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Osoyoos
Osoyoos
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Oliver
Oliver
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Illinois City...
Level Contributor
266 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

Thank you to all of those who have answered my question

I greatly appreciate it

This is a travel forum and my type of question is completely acceptable !

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

BTW - If this October is anything like last October, temperatures will still be summery. Maybe not warm enough for a comfortable swim, but certainly t-shirt weather during the day!

19. Re: What is kelowna like and what to expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kelowna