We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

Which Kelowna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

We are traveling from Saskatchewan and are checking out Kelowna for the first time June 26-July 1. We want to tour the highlights but want to soak in the city on a budget. We're mostly interested in the outdoor pursuits like renting a kayake or canoe on the lake, biking, walking, hiking and taking a book to a quiet, scenic place to read....very low key. However we would like to balance this with some touring as well. We're on a budget and are having trouble deciding where to stay. We prefer the hotel experience to the B&B and are looking at super 8, dilworth inn, and travelodge abbot (because it is close to the water). Do you have any ideas for lodging and touring for us?

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

Because of location the travelodge would be best. A few blocks to the lake and boat rentals including bike rentals, beach and walking the boardwalk north to bird sanctuary. Also, a drive up Knox mountain to lookout and some hiking. Many restaurants to choose from in the downtown area. Check Castanet.net under events and see what is going on in town while you are here. Anything else let me know.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

I have stayed several times at the Abbott Street Travelodge, and I love the location! I love biking south down Abbott Street from the hotel (on the south side of Harvey) - there are some beautiful, quiet, leafy older neighbourhoods (some parts even have bike paths), with accesses to many beach parks along the way. I do remember that one of them had a wetland with a boardwalk (not sure if this is the same one gibee mentioned). You might want to bike all the way down to the Mission Creek Greenway, and along that trail (although once you get to Gyro Beach, you have to bike for awhile on the busier Lakeshore Rd. to get to the Mission Creek Greenway.)

There is also the KVR - Kettle Valley Railway. I have never biked the part that is near Kelowna, but have been on a bit of it near Naramata. As a converted rail trail, grades are gentle, so it's easy biking.

Last time we came to Kelowna, we camped at Bear Creek Provincial Park. We had planned to hike the trails there, but never got around to it. If you wind up touring up that way (on the west bank of the lake), maybe you will want to check it out?

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Edited: 10:51 pm, May 26, 2011
BC
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

Hi Jenny,

the first two posts have given you great advice.

Any of those three motel choices would be good, but Travelodge IS in the centre of tourist type things, so that is a really nice option. In the evenings, if you wanted to go for drinks you would be able to walk easily to many different choices. I always advise visitors to go to Earl's for a drink, given its spectacular location. It is just around the corner from the Travelodge.

But if you have to go with one of the others, they will work fine as you have a vehicle with you, and driving distances are short.

You can have a really nice holiday in Kelowna, without spending much money on anything other than your hotel and meals. One of my favourite walks is to Paul's tomb, at the bottom of Knox mountain. From downtown you drive north on Ellis, to where it ends, then onto Poplar Point Drive. At the end of Poplar, there are a few parking spots and you can continue walking north along the road until it accesses the well marked trail, which runs alongside the lake, but above the lake. The trail ends at two small pocket beaches (about 20 minutes), where you can swim or relax.

A nice drive is out to the goat cheese farm in the mission (south) area of the city http://www.carmelisgoatcheese.com/visitus.php

Very relaxing and low key.

Or visit Okanagan Lavender, in a different area of the city.

http://www.okanaganlavender.com/

We have been having a very cool spring, but hopefully the lavender will be blooming when you are here.

The wineries are interesting for a tour and tastings. Prices vary, so check out a few of them on the internet and see which may interest you. I've been to the tour at Quail's Gate (across the bridge from Kelowna) and I liked it a lot, but can't compare it to any others.

Try to visit the KVR! Spectacular. If you cannot get your bikes up there, you can walk it for quite a distance, how ever long you have time for. Tip--go to the deli counter in Safeway (there is one downtown on Bernard) and buy a sandwich there to take for your picnic lunch. They are great sandwiches. There is no food or drinks to be bought at the KVR.

Have a great holiday!

BC
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

Krp, there is a boardwalk and bird sanctuary south of downtown, off Abbott street at Frances Avenue. You are correct.

This is different from the boardwalk to the north of downtown, (is this one called the Rotary Marshes??). Its in the area where there now has been tons of high rise construction (yuck).

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
910 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

Excellent advice you are getting here. On those two boardwalks and marshes. The one south of downtown, near the Hospital is the Maude-Roxby bird sanctuary. flickr.com/photos/… for photographs. The one at the north edge of downtown is the Rotary Marshes, aka Brandt's Creek estuary. A lot of photos of it and other Kelowna area wetlands here flickr.com/photos/… If you don't want or need to stay downtown another property I can recommend with confidence is the Siesta Inn or Siesta Suites as I see it is now calling itself http://www.siestasuiteskelowna.com/ Indoor and outdoor pools, a minute or two walk to the lake, quick bus or bike ride to downtown and about equidistant between Maude-Roxby and the Mission Creek Greenway. Whatever you choose, have a great time.

Saskatoon, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

Thanks for the great ideas and advice. Very helpful!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

We went to the goat cheese farm recently - it is great - and they let you test all the cheeses. It's hard to not buy several...which we did. The goat milk gelatto is awesome. Don't let the STEEP driveway scare you. There is a turn around at the bottom - I found out after I smoked my clutch backing up into a parking stall.

Winnipeg, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

We just spent two days in Kelowna - we're from Manitoba.

We booked a 3-hour tour with Let's Go Wine Tours - it was awesome! $55 per person, but it was well worth it for a "touristy' thing to do. Our guide Fabio was awesome too! He even drove us up Knox Mountain because we had some extra time after we'd toured 5 different vineyards! I'd highly recommend it!

When we were booking, the Travelodge was booked up, so we stayed at the Royal Anne hotel. It's an older hotel, but very clean, and right downtown too and only a 2 minute walk to the water.

9. Re: Looking to explore Kelowna for 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, June 24, 2012