We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS Law in British Columbia

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
GPS Law in British Columbia

I plan to use my GPS to drive rental car from Kelowna to Revelstoke, BC.

What are exactly the new law regarding using a GPS while driving?

Are you allowed to attach it to the windshield still?

Is it only main rule is that you can not program it while you are driving the car? Just pull over to program it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

Here's a pretty good summary of the new law. Scroll down into the "Backgrounder" section:

…gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2009PSSG0…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

Hi WorldTravellers123,

Here is a link to the Official Press Release that was put out by the BC Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General = http://tinyurl.com/BCgoesHandsFree

It boils down to this:

<< Simply put, you cannot talk, type or dial on any HAND-HELD device while driving. >>

Scroll down and there are POINTS that clearly identify what is and isn't allowed.

There is no statement of where a GPS may or maynot be located in the vehicle.

Overall sounds similar to the new cellphone law in Ontario (only voice activated is allowed)... thinking it probably would be a good idea if TPTB in Ontario added in GPS Units here as well.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... I found this document by GOOGLING - BC GPS LAW.

LOL... Looks like MUFTIMIXANDMATCH and I were searching & posting at the same time (great minds think alike, eh MM&M).

Edited: 9:56 pm, January 31, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

What brilliant timing! :-)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

That is the hilarious part of the new laws in BC. As long as it is not hand held you can do whatever you want. You can still use a cell phone, gps, etc, just not while it is in your hand. I was thinking of taping my cell phone to the steering wheel and using it as a GPS and cell on speaker phone. Just kidding of course.

But as long as it isn't in your hand, no problem.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

TO WRLDTVLER, (lol are you guys related *wink*)

LOL... of course that isn't totally correct (although I do love your "interpretation").

As per these Laws... Handheld means one has to type in info... voice activated means, a machine does it for you. I had a cell-phone that was bluetooth for a while (ear-piece)... it was ok. I recently got a new car (a 2010) it has bluetooth built right into the vehicle... (came as a standard feature since the Ontario Law came into effect) it is awesome.

If I have my cell-phone turned on, and it is in the car... it will redirect thru to my car's hands-free system. I push one button on the steering wheel... and it automatically mutes my radio, and answers an incoming call... caller's voice comes thru the radio, my voice goes out thru a speaker built into the roof of my car over the driver. It works like a charm. Of course it took me awhile to set up (link the car and phone by bluetooth, enter all my most commonly called phone numbers etc).

And when I want to make a call... I initiate the process by pushing that same button on the steering wheel... and a friendly voices says "READY" then I just say what I want to do... like... "CALL HOME"... and the onboard computer does the dialing... I hear the line ring, and the person pick up at the other end. Absolutely love it.

Before this latest technology... one had to have a phone that recognized voice activated calling... or bought an FM Transceiver... now it is all done for you as part a vehicle communications package.

Why I had to giggle at your suggestion of taping your cell-phone onto your steering wheel was just before the Ontario Law came into effect Officer Cam Wooley (the OPP Media Rep... and a well known face here on Ontario Tv News and the Weather Network) told a couple of WHOPPER Stories about things they'd seen over the years... one of the best... OPP Stopped a Guy doing well over 100 Kph on a 400 Series Hwy (Expressway) and get this he had his laptop duct taped to his steering wheel and was typing out emails. Yoweee!

Give your head a shake man.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 10:37 pm, January 31, 2010
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

If you need a GPS to drive from Kelowna to Revelstoke you have more probs than a badly worded law.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

The problem is that a wide range of studies have shown that hands-free cell phones -- no matter how well integrated into the car -- don't substantially cut the safety risk vs. hand-held. (I'm never heard of anyone studying Wrldtvler's taped-to-the-wheel approach -- where's Red Green when you need him?) The accident risk comes mostly from trying to focus on a remote conversation and the road at the same time, not from having only one hand on the wheel.

That's why many people feel the new laws are a bit pointless, though in fairness it'd be awfully hard to enforce a hands-free ban.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

About the taping the cell to the steering wheel...my son velcroed his to his sterring wheel for driving. One touch to answer and he uses his stereo like speaker phone. This is his OLD work truck with a nice stereo of course!

BC
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

SamSalmon, that was uncalled for. Without having been here, how can a traveller know how difficult it is to get anywhere?

Worldtraveller, it is easy to get to Revelstoke, so you won't need your GPS. Kelowna has one major highway running right through town, in town it is called Harvey Avenue. This highway 97 takes you north and then there is only one turn at Sicamous onto Highway 1 to Revelstoke. Everything is well marked.

There are not any optional routes, nor any more scenic routes.

Revelstoke is beautiful in the winter!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPS Law in British Columbia

Pumpermum, I think Sam was being sarcastic.

As for the cell phone law, we need it bad in Alberta. I had some crazy situations happen to me, even tonight, all because of people talking on cell phones, or worse yet texting while driving.

I could fill books with the Darwin award recipients I've seen driving, but I am sure I am not alone in thinking that.

Get answers to your questions about Kelowna