We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone could provide me with some suggestions on some things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops.

We will be travelling during the summer months; have 10 and 6 year old girls. Anything that might break up the drive for us.

We will be stopping in Jasper for one of our breaks but other suggestions after that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Cheers,

Taylor

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Mt Robson Park, Wells Grey Provincial Park.. spend a night at Clearwater and visit Helmcken Falls.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Depends which way you are planning to go. T47 is bringing you down Highway 5, but if you've not been this way before, then the more scenic route is south along the Icefields Parkway to Highway 1 and then west through Golden and Revelstoke. The Icefields Parkway is spectacular and needs lots of time, so you might want to spend a night at Lake Louise before turning back to Highway 1, or the tiny hamlet of Field, or press on to Golden.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Thank you for some of your suggestions.

We will be taking H-5 from Jasper to Kamloops.

Cheers,

Taylor

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Are you doing the drive in a day? Or making some overnight stops?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

We went that way, in the other direction, summer before last. We had two nights in Clearwater, leaving one full day for Wells Gray. I thought it was worth it. Its a lovely park, and you really need to take the time to do some of the trails to appreciate it. We hiked up to the Osprey Falls Lookout above the lake, which was lovely, we also did a little bit of the loop at Ray Farm, but we were tired by that point and running out of daylight. It was memorable. The next morning, as we drove out, we stopped and did the Moul Falls trail. That was quite a long walk, and the real thrill was going to the bottom of the falls and looking up, but the trail to get down there involved a very shaky set of stairs that we decided not to trust with our kids, so opted not to go that last bit, so it was spoiled a bit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Oh, and my recommendation for your time in Jasper is to do the Edith Cavel trail and the walk through the Moraine to the toe of the glacier. This was, IMO, one of the BEST stops we did on our trip. We actually went to Edith Cavel twice, once in the late evening (and so decided not to do the walk) and then again in the morning (because we'd been told it was worth going back for the walk, and it was). The light was MUCH better in the evening, and it wasn't anywhere near as crowded. In the morning, the whole area is in shadow from the Edith Cavel peak.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

I would like to push right through to Kamloops but that will depend on how my girls are doing. I would be open to one overnight somewhere alone the way.

T

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,033 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

Edmonton to Jasper is four hours of driving; Jasper to Kamloops, five.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

You didn't mention when in the summer, but...

In Kamloops:

tourismkamloops.com/home_showSection_ID_188.…

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kamloopa+powwow&docid=576074089475&mid=C6028C636BD223168397C6028C636BD223168397&FORM=VIRE3#

tourismkamloops.com/home_showSection_ID_534.…

(I believe the lineup was for 2010 but it gives you an idea)

Food for thought.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to see or do between Edmonton and Kamloops

If you are driving from Edmonton you will pass through Jasper National Park on Hwy 16. If you choose to stop in the National Park you will need to purchase a National Park Pass. If you don't stop you don't need the pass. In theory you are suppose to have a pass even if you are just stopping for meals and gas.

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit6a.aspx

If you travel via the indirect route via the Icefields Parkway - even if you don't stop you need to purchase a pass.

Something to consider when making your travel plans.