We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bombay Pettys

Boulder City, NV
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bombay Pettys

Anyone ever hear about Bombay Pettys? Do they rent rooms?

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bombay Pettys

Cool place, but though they rent rooms, they could be pretty noisy due to the action in the bar - http://www.bombaypeggys.com/

Boulder City, NV
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bombay Pettys

Thanks again. Rooms looked great.

We're taking the Top of World drive from Tok to Dawson. Other than winding road, anything we should know, such as border crossing closes for lunch. I read somewhere (maybe on one of your sites) border crossing closes at 5 p.m.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bombay Pettys

Glad to help. The border is open from about 8am - 10pm, so no worries. Just take your time and you'll have a great trip (be sure to stop at Chicken - the Gold Camp has yummy gourmet sandwiches for lunch and a dredge to tour!).

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bombay Pettys

Great drive. Dawson City is very cool. The drive is fine up to Chicken, and then its pretty rough up to where the Taylor goes to Eagle. Keep your eyes on the road, not the scenery. Pretty much from Chicken on to Dawson there are not any shoulders. Wander a little bit off the road and your into real soft stuff and pulled off the road. Do you have a 'Milepost'? Pretty much the road atlas Bible of Alaska, and the Alcan, including the Yukon. Even if thats the only drive you take its worth getting one.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Boulder City, NV
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bombay Pettys

Thank you for your info. Is Milepost a guidebook? Can I purchase it on arrival?

We googled the drive and saw it was rough road from Chicken almost to Dawson. Can you tell me what the surface is, e.g. asphalt, concrete, loose gravel, or glued down gravel?

We drive slow out of habit but have a rental car. Any tips on another route.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bombay Pettys

The Milepost is THE guidebook to northern highways. While you can buy it when you get here, it's cheaper online - ie explorenorth.com/library/roads/highways.html

The surface of the highway between Chicken and Dawson is mostly gravel, with some chipseal (glued-down gravel) sections. You should check to see if your rental company allows you to drive this road - most don't.

Murray

Boulder City, NV
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bombay Pettys

Is there any other road from Tok to Dawson without going back to Whitehorse?

Mentioned in this post
Whitehorse
Whitehorse
Yukon, Canada
Boulder City, NV
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bombay Pettys

What is the electric current in the Yukon? 110? 220? What sort of plug adapters do I need, if any?

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bombay Pettys

There is no other road except going back through Whitehorse. Canadian power is the same as in the States.

Mentioned in this post
Whitehorse
Whitehorse
Yukon, Canada
taunton
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bombay Pettys

Hi, I reccomend staying at Klondike kates which has cabins...stayed there couple of weeks ago good clean cabins/ and a good restaurant to.