We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting area ... advice?

Which Chilliwack hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting area ... advice?

Hi all. First off, we will soon be visiting the Chilliwack and Fraser Valley area but have no steadfast plans on where to stay. We will probably be in the area a month and would like a halfway central location if possible to facilitate day trips in every direction. It'd be great to have a kitchenette and, as we're on a shoestring budget, the cheaper the better. Suggestions?

Also, what would you most advise we see/do while there? Again, cheap and/or free activites preferred.

Thanks all!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,156 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting area ... advice?

HI Tumbleweed - not a lot of pickup on this thread, so I'll do what I can to help. I assume there is a reason for you to go to Chilliwack. Not really a hotbed of tourism....

For approved accomodations, try the BC Tourism Website at www.hellobc.com. You might also Google "Chamber of Commerce Chilliwack BC" for some accomodation listings. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a budget motel with a kitchenette.

You don't say if you will have a car. Assuming you will, some day trips to check out:

*Harrison Hot Springs - you can swim in the rather run down public pool which has the hot springs water fed into it, or you can fork out the big bucks and go into the resort hotel. It's a lovely place to walk along the lake.

* for free outings, check out the BC Parks website for places to see. I suggest Bridal Falls in Popkum, Kilby General Store, out towards Harrison, and the Othello Tunnels near Hope.

* Minter Gardens is at the east end of Chilliwack

* near by Cultus Lake has all the big touristy stuff - water slides, mini golf, jet ski rentals.

* the Catholic Mission across the bridge in Mission is worth a visit and free.

* if you have map, you can probably find the Power House Museum at Stave Dam, run by BC Hydro. Not too expensive and worth a visit.

* coming towards Vancouver, there is Fort Langley. The National Historic Site is interesting, and the village is a fun place to walk around.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting area ... advice?

I haven't stayed at this place but it might work for you http://chilliwackriverfrontcabins.com/

http://xaytem.museum.bc.ca/ is a neat place to visit.

Arkansas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting area ... advice?

Thanks for the great info.

We didn't have a master plan when it comes to Chilliwack, just figured we probably wouldn't make it much farther east than that. Abbotsford, Surrey, or any little burg in between would be as good. Is there an area or two in particular you would recommend?

Also, we'll be coming in from Vancouver, so "items of interest" could include anything anywhere along the way, not just stuff close to Chilliwack...though we'd prefer avoiding major tourist areas unless the attraction is really worth it.

Thanks again. :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting area ... advice?

Sorry I missed this before. Take a look at my Go Lists. You might get some good ideas.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i5841-Fraser_Va…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1136-B_C_not_j…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14432-Vancouve…

Viv

5. Re: Visiting area ... advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, October 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chilliwack