We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Canada

Glasgow, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Canada

Hi,

Looking for some advice. We are a couple In our late 20's trying to plan our honeymoon. Hoping to fly out on the 1st Sept to Calgary. We would be looking to travel across to Vancouver from here and wondered best way to do this. We would prefer something not too structured as would like to spend a few days in Banff/Lake Louise. Ideally travel up to Jasper and then via Whistler to Vancouver. Have looked at Rocky mountaineer as we aren't keen on driving. Is this something you can hop on/off? How many days would you recommend in each area? We only have a fortnight so I know we will be quite pushed!

Many thanks for your help

Scottish honeymooners

Whistler Mountain Bike Park
Mountains, Biking Trails, Sports Complexes
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort
Beach & Pool Clubs, Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Bodies of Water
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

Honestly, car rental would be best bet. You could do train but its structured and I'm not sure on flexibility. Do you hike, kayak, canoe, raft, camp, etc.?

The reason I ask is that this is some of the best area in Canada for outdoor activity. From Calgary head north to jasper-Banff-LakeLouise.icefiedls parkway is an amazing drive. From here head towards mt robson (highest point in Rockies...then down via Valemount-Clearwater into Kamloops. From there maybe head South to the wine region of BC... Penticton.. Naramata Bench...Oliver. Here you can come into Vancouver via Hwy 3. Whistler is always an option if you want another big mountain fix

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,627 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

No hop on/off. You will be driving. I like the entire way to Vancouver via Cranbrook and highway 3. Whistler route is pretty but adds to an already long drive. You can go to Whistler in a day trip from Vancouver in 90 minutes.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

I agree with puffpuffpassross. The Rocky Mountaineer is not a train that goes through the Rockies, it's a train that goes to the Rockies from Vancouver, and I don't think it's well suited to getting on and off. There are bus tours within the Rockies but renting a car will give you much more freedom to do what you want to do, and in any case for a honeymoon you probably don't want to tag along with a group.

In any case, to discuss how best to explore the Rockies, you should post in the Canadian Rockies forum, which is nested within the Alberta forum rather than BC: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

Driving will give you the most flexibility....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

The Moose Travel Network is the only hop on/hop off transit service in this part of Canada. I'm not sure it's what you're seeking for a honeymoon, but if you're into backpacking culture, that would be better than taking the train. Otherwise, as others have said, you really will want to drive to experience this part of the world. Unlike driving in the UK, you won't find driving over here stressful, and the roads clear of traffic.

Edited: 1:45 pm, January 18, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

Have a look at the Trip Report collection and the "best route" article in the Top Questions to the right of the page.

The first Monday in Sept is Labour Day and makes for a busy weekend. Structure would be really good here. Book accommodations well in advance in the Rockies.

You could rent a car for your 4-6 nights in the Rockies and drive to Jasper. From Jasper you could take VIA Rail to Vancouver. 20 hours, scheduled 3 times a week. You can get off to visit places on the way as long as you are aware that you would be somewhere for at least 2 nights and most towns on the route will not have public transit.

www.viarail.ca

Check www.canadianaffair.com to see if Calgary to Jasper qualifies as end cities for their one way car rentals, no one way drop fee.

I'd say 6-7 nights in the Rockies, 1-2 nights across the province, 4-5 nights in Vancouver, the 5th night would allow you to get up to Whistler for a day trip. That's all you would need if you've been in the Rockies.

The RM is a luxury package deal from beginning to end of trip.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

www.youtube.com/watch…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

:-) Thanks for posting that!

9. Re: Honeymoon in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 21, 2015