We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Hey all,

I will be landing in Vancouver on Sep 11th and I have roughly two weeks to see BC. I didn't get my hands on a guide book so I am asking fellow tripadvisors for advice.

What should I prioritise to see? Is it easy to access the main attractions by buses or should I rent a car? Are there any preferred tour operators for one or two week long bear & whale trips?

I am a photographer and interested in wildlife and beautiful landscapes.

Thanks in advance!

Elmo

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,615 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Welcome to the forums ElmoEnsio ~

I'm afraid that 2 weeks in BC takes more preparation than 4 days. More like 4 months. To begin you could read the Trip Reports in the Top Questions to the right of the page, as well as the "driving from Vancouver to Calgary" article if you think you might do a loop to and from the Rockies. You could also open other topics being asked on this forum and read the replies being given - this will garner a lot if info that may help you. You could also look through the Things to Do in the green menu bar across the top of the page to see that attractions appeal to you. To get around BC you would want to rent a car. There are no 1-2 week bear or whale tours. For day trips for those, you would want to go to Vancouver Island.

Our online tourism website is: www.hellobc.com . You could look at the Okanagan Valley, the Nelson area in the Slocan Valley, the Rockies for 8 nights split between Banff and Jasper. The distance to the Rockies is about 850 km and takes 2 days. Vancouver Island has enough for 6-9 nights.

After you have done some research, please post a provisional itinerary for feedback.

Edited: 1:14 pm, September 06, 2013
Port McNeill
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

While there are 1 to 2 week whale and bear tours these are generally boat based and you would need to have booked them months ago.

You may consider combining whale watching day trips and grizzly bear tours from Telegraph Cove. Check out http://www.stubbs-island.com/ and http://grizzlycanada.com/ . For something longer you may look at a multi-day base camp kayak tour with the whales in the same area and then add a grizzly bear day trip to the start or end of it.

Edited: 2:10 pm, September 06, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

<<roughly two weeks to see BC>> I'm going to amend that slightly to "two weeks to see a part of BC". You can't see BC in 2 weeks, so you need to choose a region and work from there.

<<What should I prioritise to see?>> Sorry, can't make that decision for you. You'll have to make some fast choices and just work from there. As a first choice, do you want to head into the mountains or out to the coast? Once that decision is made, then its easier to make a plan.

<<Is it easy to access the main attractions by buses>> No, it isn't. Not at all. You will be extremely limited without a car.

<<I am a photographer and interested in wildlife and beautiful landscapes.>> Ok, well that describes most of BC, so no problem there. You still have some choices to make.

1. Book a car for about day 3 or 4. Spend the first 3 days in Vancouver and use buses, then drive from there.

2. Look at the Trip Reports listed under Top Questions on the right side of the page, and the itineraries listed on Hello BC. Choose one and just run with that. You haven't left yourself any time to do a custom trip, so you'll just have to work with someone else's plan.

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Thanks Multimixandmatch, KingfisherKayaking and Vancouverite67 for your informative answers.

I have learned that I need a car when I decide to leave Vancouver. I will then go to Vancouver Island for a week. I am still undecided if I should drive to Jasper/Calgary or spend more time in Vancouver Island. Need to do some more research before flipping the coin.

I do realise I am a bit unprepared, that's because I am taking things with a slower pace here in Asia. Canada will be the last destination on my 7 month long trip.

Once again thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Ok, so with a week on Vancouver Island, and your stated interests, I would recommend you focus on the central west coast and the north island. You need a day to get out to the Pacific Rim Rea and then you might want three full days out there, so four nights. Then a full day to drive to you next point -Cambell River or Port McNeil probably for a couple of nights, then back to the Nanaimo area for one night before catching the ferry back to the mainland.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,615 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

You could consider 3 nights Vancouver, 3 nights Victoria area, 3 nights Tofino/Ucluelet area, 1 night on the way up Island, 2 nights up Island Telegraph Cove area, then 1 night Vancouver before your flight out.

Like this: http://goo.gl/maps/4oNN8

Or 3 nights Vancouver, 2 nights Whistler, 1 night on the way to Tofino, 3 nights Tofino, 1 night on the way up Island, 2 nights Telegraph Cove, one long 7 hour drive/ferry + 1 hour wait for the ferry to 1 night Vancouver before your flight out.

Like this: http://goo.gl/maps/vfj8s

Or 3 nights Vancouver with a day trip to Whistler, 1 night Victoria, 3 nights Tofino, 1 night on the way up Island to 3 nights Telegraph Cove, 1 night on the way to Vancouver for 1 night Vancouver before your flight out.

These are possible itineraries, depending on your priorities.

The BC Ferries information is here: www.bcferries.com . There are two entry points to the Island: 1) Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay south of Vancouver and 2) Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay (Nanaimo) west of Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Throw in a couple of nights on the Sunshine Coast to round it out nicely.

sunshinecoastcanada.com/hidden-gems/princess…

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Thanks all who contributed ideas!

I spend one week in Vancouver city, finishing off with a daytrip to Whistler on a rental motorbike. Then headed to Victoria by bus&ferry and picked up my rental car. On my way to Tofino I spent one day on a mailboat from Port Alberni to Ucluelet and back. Saw the totems and raptors in Duncan. Bears, whales and rainforest in Tofino, then drove back to Victoria for one day in the city before flying from Victoria to Toronto.

I didn't max out on what I possibly could've seen, but rather enjoyed slower pace and freedom of exploring things on my own pace and stopping for photos wherever I wanted.

I was happy with my trip and want to come again, maybe make a BC, Yukon, Alaska roadtrip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

Sounds like a great trip, and very personal. This is what can make it so difficult to answer questions like yours. No one else really knows what sort of vacation you want to have.

10. Re: Suggestions for a two week trip in BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 03, 2015