We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

Scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

Hi

We are looking to book up to visit Japser, Banff & Lake Louise in June 2013, firstly is this a good time to visit?

We are doing a weeks Alaska cruise that finishes in Seattle and our initial plan was to travel to vancouver pick up a hire car then head off to the Rockies, is there anywhere we should stop on route that is worth the journey?

We are flying out of Calgery and have approx 8 nights between end of cruise and flying out. After another look I wonder if it would be best to just fly from Seattle to Calgery and hire a car from there? I just wouldn't want to miss Vancouver or somewhere on route to the Rockies if worth a visit.

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,542 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

8 days is a great amount of time to see the Rockies. Adding in Vancouver and the drive takes at least 3 days out of your limited time frame. While I love Vancouver, you will do far better to just fly from Seattle to Calgary. I do it monthly and if you book far enough out the fares can be as low as $124 one way. Besides that you will save hundreds on the drop fee for the rental car as one way fares are atrocious!

Look at

alaskaair.com

for non stop flights from sea to yyc

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,354 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

You could go either way with it. To some extent it depends on your travel style and how much ground you like to cover in a given period of time. I think David's advice is excellent and I would probably be inclined to go that route as well, but you could do it as a drive if you are good with some long days, and you probably wouldn't really have time to see Vancouver itself - you'd pretty much have to push through and get on the road right away.

You really need to have - at a mimimum - one night between Vancouver and Alberta, and two nights each in Jasper and Banff. More time is better. That would be five of your eight days there, and that would be at a very rushed pace. People do it, and some prefer that hard pace, but flying to Calgary would allow you more time. You could throw in an out and back drive as far as Relvelstoke to see the best part of the drive across BC. Also look at Drumheller if you want to do more than just Banff and Jasper.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,227 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

I agree, it would be best to fly from Seattle to Calgary, then rent a car to tour the Rockies. You would then get a very good, solid experience of that area.

Here are some Trip Reports from the Canadian Rockies Forum's Top Questions (to the upper right) which will help you with your research:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g659487-c123791/Canadi…

Scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

Hi all

Thanks so much for your ideas. Going straight to Calgery seems the best option and a little loop out to the hot Springs near Revelstoke sounds like a great idea too.

The link to the forum's were really helpful and gave us a feel for our exciting trip to come.

Thanks again :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,354 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

<<the hot Springs near Revelstoke>>

NOT Canyon Hot Springs I hope! There are some nice hot springs throughout that area. Canyon is NOT one of them. Read the reviews first.

6. Re: Best Route to visit Jasper, Banff & Lake Louise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 16, 2013