We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

After receiving lots of advice and helpful information I have come up with a rough draft of our itinerary for a 6 week trip to West Canada & Alaska in August/September 2013.

Any comments regarding overnight stops, length of stays and route would be appreciated.

Arrive Vancouver, 2 nights

Vancouver to Banff via Whistler, Kamploops, 2 nights on route

3/4 nights Banff

Icefield Parkway to Jasper, overnight on Parkway

3 nights Jasper

Return via Parkway, overnight on Parkway

Back to Vancouver (not sure best route for this, perhaps via Cranbrook, Penticton) 2 nights on route

Vancouver Island 5 nights

One way cruise to Alaska followed by land base RV touring in Alaska & Yukon for 16 days.

I plan to RV in Alaska, still undecided as to RV or Car/Hotel in Canada.

We are a family with 2 children 7 & 9. Interested in Scenic driving, wildlife viewing, easy hiking/walks, light rafting.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

The options for accommodations along the Icefield Parkway are limited. We definitely took two days to do the Parkway, camping enroute, and even then we skipped things, but if you are driving it in both directions you could skip those nights and just make sure that you plan to spend ALLLLLLL day getting between Banff and Jasper.

I really like that you are planning two nights along the way between the coast and the mountains. Depending on the route you choose, you could use another one on the return. Here's something to look at:

http://goo.gl/maps/2mDZJ

I would plan to spend a night at Revelstoke on the way out, and then either Cranbrook, and or Nelson, and then Osoyoos on the way back. I would spend two nights in Osoyoos and spend the intervening day doing a leisurely tour of the south Okanagan as far as Penticton and Summerland.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

As mentioned by V67, overnight accommodation on the Icefields Parkway is quite limited. There are several campgrounds, and also some HI hostels... these are rustic wilderness hostels. For commercial accommodations, there are only four, and only two of these are near the mid-point of the distance between Lake Louise and Jasper ... these are the Glacier View Inn, at the Columbia Icefields Visitor Centre, and Saskatchewan Crossing "Resort" (= motel) about 1/2 or 3/4 hour south of there. Closer to Lake Louise (35 or 40 km) is Num-ti-Jah Lodge, and closer to Jasper (60 km) is Sunwapta Falls Lodge.

There are also another couple of bungalows/cabins accommodations on the parkway within 10 km of Jasper - Becker's Chalets, Jasper House Bungalows, and Alpine Village (on #93A).

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. So I need to make sure I book accommodation on the Parkway early or RV. We may end up hiring an RV for the freedom it gives the kids. We used an RV when we traveled around New Zealand (my youngest was only 9 months old at the time) and it worked well for us. And that was before they could say 'Are we there yet?' :)

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,285 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

"'Are we there yet?'"

Ha ha. Payback for my comment on the Alaska forum. :)

Unless you want to do some hiking along the IP, I question why you would need to stay o/night along the way.

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

Frommy, I read quite a few trip reports suggesting that a full day was needed in order to stop often enough to see many of the sites and that an overnighter was recommended if possible. Knowing how often my kids want to stop when we travel I thought an overnighter was probably a good idea. I should probably remember that while planning the Alaska leg. Lol

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

The one regret I have after our East Coast trip is not having allowed enough time in some areas, I don't want to make that mistake again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

Hi Michelle ~

I've been stewing about the itinerary you put up in your OP. Now that you have said "I don't want to make that mistake again" it has twigged why I've been stewing. I do think your itinerary has some gaps and shows evidence of not knowing the distances which is perfectly expected. (A few stops are not included which will have to be done or you would be driving 8 hours on at least one day) So the itinerary does not really allow enough time in some areas. I've come up with a redesigned itinerary that will allow you some time to explore some pretty interesting places in BC.

(And I will say right here that I think your plan to RV from Alaska to Yukon is pretty ambitious, but wrong forum for that, not to mention not being able to do a one way rental.)

http://goo.gl/maps/8IkAG

2 nights Vancouver

1 night Osoyoos (5 hours drive from Van)

3 nights Nelson (4 hours)

1 night Kimberley (4 hours)

4 nights Banff (3h45)

3 nights Jasper (all day)

1 night Golden (4 hours)

3 nights Kelowna (5 hours)

1 night North Vancouver (4.5 hours)

3 nights Tofino (6.5 hours + 1 hour wait for the ferry)

2 nights Victoria (5 hours)

1 night Vancouver (4 hours + 1 hour wait for the ferry.) Be in Vancouver the night before your cruise departure.

TOTAL: 25 nights

7 day cruise

10 nights Alaska, Yukon, including 1 night somewhere before your flight home.

I would give up Vancouver Island for more time in Alaska, or give up time in Alaska for the time on Vancouver Island. Travel time from Van to either of the 2 entry towns on Vancouver Island is 4 hours + 1 hour wait for the ferry. From Van to Tofino is about 6.5 hours + 1 hour wait for the ferry. If you gave up Vancouver Island, then the itinerary would be Kelowna > Vancouver.

You would have 2 full days in Nelson and 2 full days in the Kelowna region

Crowsnest Highway #3: britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

OSOYOOS: britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp… ...... http://www.desert.org/

NELSON: britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp… ..... The Silvery Slocan Circle Route --- (take the big circle or cut across between flag 3 and flag 6) --- hellobc.com/driving-routes/22/silvery-slocan…

KIMBERLEY: britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp… --- britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp… ---- Kids would like Ft. Steele -- http://www.fortsteele.ca/

The Spiral Tunnel near FIELD, BC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEe9d69NpyM

REVELSTOKE (plenty of time between Golden and Kelowna for a good visit there): britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

KELOWNA and the OKANAGAN VALLEY (Osoyoos in the south to Vernon in the north): britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp… ---- Myra Canyon cycling: trailpeak.com/trail-Myra-Canyon-KVR-near-Kel… ---- Armstrong cheese: http://villagecheese.com/ ---- Locolanding: http://www.locolanding.com/

I'll leave it there for now.

Edited: 1:19 am, October 05, 2012
Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

Wow MuftiMixandMa, lots of detailed info there, thank you so much. This is the problem with Google maps, you never really get a true idea of the time needed. As for Alaska & Yukon. That is the one that I m most concerned over. There is so much info out there, it can be very confusing. I'm considering dropping the Yukon or the cruise and using a combo of the ferry and flying. More research to be done.

9. Re: Rough outline of Itinerary, comments please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 14, 2013