We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

I'm confused about taking fruit into Canada. I went to the Canadian Government website about this and couldn't find the answer.....there seemed to be restrictions on apples coming from US but only to British Columbia.

I generally pack about 6 apples when we take a trip, for the plane and then a few when we land, until I can find a grocery store (what can I say, I like apples!).

Will I be allowed to take my apples into British Columbia?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

No I don't believe you can. Much like you can't take citrus products into California. Protects our apple industry in BC from disease. Lovely apples available upon arrival.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

You do have to declare, on the customs card that you fill out on the plane, if you are bring fruit into Canada. For Canadian Customs, I have had a problem only once. I expressed surprise saying I thought xyz apples were allowed. The answer was "there is a problem right now with apples and they're not letting any in." ?? The CO showed me the garbage can right behind the customs kiosk. I ate it and threw away the core.

I have more problem going into the States. You can take BC or WA apples in, with the sticker still on the apple to prove it, and South American bananas. At least that was the rule the last time I went to the States. The rules change, no rhyme nor reason to it that are apparent to me.

Does your hotel have a lobby convenience shop? Sometimes those have bananas and apples available.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

You won't be allowed to take apples or lemons into Canada..we used to always bring lemons from a friend in California, declared them and had no porblem. About 2 years ago they were confiscated..due to a moth that can cross over to apples. You will find lots of apples to buy once you're in BC

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

As a general rule it's a bad idea to bring fresh fruit across any international border.

In any case it's a non issue, there are lots and lots of apples easily available anywhere in BC, no worries.

Cheers,

Terry

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

Normally you can't bring anything in with seeds, Flowers, fruit included. I do recall that if the fruit has a 'sticker' showing the country of origin it may be ok. I cross the border frequently but find going to the US more restricted than crossing north into Canada. Fruit in Canada is often grown in the US

Level Contributor
1,437 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

I'm so glad I asked the question! I'll take enough apples for the plane trip and will pick up fresh produce when in BC.

Thanks!

7. Re: Can I Take A Few Apples into Canada? (fromUS)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 21, 2012