We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Vancouver- Prince Rupert

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Transport Vancouver- Prince Rupert

Hi,

I'm looking for public transport options from Vancouver to Prince Rupert.

How long is the trip? Is it going direct or via Banff?

And how much is it?

Thanks for your help.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,724 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Vancouver- Prince Rupert

Other than flying, I'm not sure there are many options for travel directly from Vancouver to Prince Rupert. I'm not sure about the ferry options - I think you would need to get to Port Hardy for that (but check www.bcferries.com ) Going by road via Banff would be a huge detour - Banff is several hundred kilometres inland and Van and PR are both on the west coast. By bus, even the most direct route would be pretty long - I am not sure of the shortest route, it might be Vancouver-Prince George, then PG to PR. Try www.mapquest.com - they have a function where you put in starting and ending points, and text directions pop up as well as a map down at the bottom of the page.... distances, driving time etc. I find it very useful (but then, I love maps!)

Hopefully others with more travel experience on the BC coast than I will pipe up. It might be helpful, Molly, if you give us a little more detail about what you are wanting to do/see, time of year, duration of holiday etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Vancouver- Prince Rupert

It would certainly not go through Banff. Banff is 800km east of Vancouver, and Prince Rupert is located 1,509km north-west of Vancouver.

A quick look at Greyhound.ca shows me that Vancouver to Prince Rupert by coach takes anywhere from 23 to 25 hours and costs $207.65 (standard adult fare).

A look at Air Canada shows me that the flight between Vancouver and Prince Rupert takes a few minutes over 2 hours and costs anywhere from $285 to $583 depending on class and date.

Tourism Prince Rupert's website page "Getting Here" will tell you about the other options:

www.tourismprincerupert.com/gettinghere

ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Vancouver- Prince Rupert

Thanks for the help.

4. Re: Transport Vancouver- Prince Rupert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 18, 2009