We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lethbridge mini-break

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lethbridge mini-break

Spent the past weekend in Lethbridge for Miss 7's dive club outing at the Univ pool. Had a very pleasant time!

Made an early start & reached town at about 12 noon. First stop was (of course) Chapters, and again noted that famous Alberta customer service - DH & I were each asked numerous times if we were finding all we needed (that doesn't happen here in BC!). Grabbed a quick bite enroute to the Univ - much appreciated how compact Lethbridge is & how easy it is to get around - the Univ is only like 5 min from downtown!

Unfortunately found the lack of clear signage at the Univ a bit of a challenge but eventually realized we did not have to pay for parking and then managed to find our way to the pool, where little Miss 7 actually jumped off the 3m board! (we only have a 1m board in our town).

Checked out both the Bay and Park Place mall after the dive session - did a bit of shopping - then checked in at the Hampton Inn & Suites at the far east side of town. Had decided on that particular hotel because of the great reviews here on TA. Found service to be very friendly & thorough, very nice amenities. Would agree with all the positive reviews on this site. Did pay a bit more that we usually do (we try to keep it at $120-ish, this was $150 with the taxes) but the lovely linens, very nice bathroom, & great breakfast were worth the extra $. The pool has a very quick waterslide as well which Miss 7 loved.

For dinner we checked out CoCo Pazzo Italian Cafe. It did mean a short (less than 10 min drive) and was a very good choice - again, got the idea from the reviews here on TA (would have liked to try the Ethiopian place but knew Miss 7 would not "appreciate" it!). They were busy but not packed. Quite noisy - due to the bare floor I suspect. They don't do a children's menu but offered smaller size pasta or child-size pizza. Miss 7 & I shared a Caesar salad & she did have a pizza (she found the wood-fired oven to be quite interesting) but preferred my rigatoni with basil cream & bruschetta! (The pizza was great!). Service was again very friendly & prompt; we were in & out in 1 hr's time (which was appreciated as it was nice to get Miss 7 fed before she "crashed"). The tab was about $80 before tip (one salad, one appetizer, 2 adult entrees, 1 child's pizza, 1 milk, & 1/2 litre of chilean wine). But we didn't feel rushed & I noticed that they were also catering to all kinds of parties - one large group of women, a few tables of couples, a few more tables of 4's or 6's, a couple families as well. In other words they seemed to be quite prepared to cater to each party's needs.

The next day, after a very nice breakfast, we headed back to the Univ pool for more diving for Miss 7. I must say I was impressed with the facilities at the phys ed centre at the Univ; DH & I both thought wistfully back to our univ days when we did not make the most of the facilities at our disposal! While Miss 7 took instruction, we found the nearest Starbucks -north of the univ, at the Safeway complex on Univ Blvd - about 1/2 way between the Univ & the Crowsnest Hwy (Hwy 3) and then headed for Sears to buy some Levis for DH (on sale!) - and to stock up on incandescent light bulbs! Back to the Univ for the last 1/2 hour of diving - got to join Miss 7 in the dive tank - I was too chicken to even try the 1m board! Then got some lunch at the Safeway to eat in the car on the return trip & headed home.

A couple comments: we noticed that the traffic lights don't seem to have sensors? We seemed to sit for a very long time at red lights when there was no traffic headed in any of the other 3 directions. Anyone know know what's up with that?? Also the lights seemed very LONG. And, trying to be polite here, many drivers seemed quite.....hesitant... reluctant... not responding when the light turns green... braking for green lights... reminded me of Victoria. Is it just my crazy Vancouver driving skills coming through?

Loved the location - the main building of the univ is simply stunning, & the high level rail bridge is a real work of art (and feat of engineering)!

Thanks again Lethbridge - hope to see you again soon!

10 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,692 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

Thanks so much for the trip report, EastBC! I haven't been to Lethbridge in ages, so it was nice to see it through your eyes.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

I lived in Lethbridge for a couple of years, and really loved the city! The university is fabulous - the design is incredible and so is the location.

Thanks for the TR, and glad to hear you enjoyed your weekend.

Lethbridge, Alberta
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

As a Lethbridge resident, I can only say that you are not the only one that is left frustrated with the traffic lights in our fair city. There are WAY too many of them, and many do not have sensors. The red lights are long, and when they turn green, you have about 4.5 seconds to get through the intersection before the light changes again (well...that's maybe exaggerated...a little LOL). Because the lights change as quickly as they do, many Lethbridgians err on the side of caution and wait a couple of seconds because there have been too many occasions where some rushed bunny will run the red light. Not to mention that we have had a horribly long winter, and today, being Easter Sunday, still have snow on the ground. Most people will hesitate to make sure someone doesn't skate through the intersection trying to stop.

I am glad you enjoyed your weekend here. I hope you will come back in the summer and take in more of what our City has to offer. It is a lot nicer looking in the summer when the flowers are in bloom.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

Thank you XCited - we will be back in a few weeks for another sporting event for Miss 7 - & to hit Chapters and London Drugs again! East

Lethbridge, Alberta
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

Thanks for your positive comments. Yes, drivers are hesitant and turn signals seem to be ignored for many people and yes many of the lights are VERY long. We do have many people coming in from small towns or the farms so they don't know how to drive in the city. But I wouldn't drive in Vancouver. I love our university pool and PE centre. It is too bad you didn't get to see more of Lethbridge - the Nature Centre, walking or hiking in the coulees, off to Henderson Lake Park and in season the beautiful Japanese Gardens. Come back and go to our local Streatside Restaurant, go out to Coaldale for a great bakery (Dutch) and visit Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump west and north of the city. Oh - the local museum too. It is a great little city.

6. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, July 12, 2016

alberta
Level Contributor
43 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

that is one of the most awesome trip reports i have ever seen. you should seriously do some travel writing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

You are replying to threads that are ancient. The idea is to notice current questions for upcoming travels and reply in advance of a trip to help with planning.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

That's okay Mufti - better late than never! We are back in Lethbridge in a couple weeks for another of Ms 12 (! - she used to be Miss 7!) 's sporting events - this time we have Miss 5 with us (the April 2011 trip was just before we travelled out of country to adopt our 2nd - then Baby Cutie, now Miss 5. Not sure how we managed it!). Am looking forward to shopping at the Bay and Park Place - and this time the Japanese gardens will be open so will certainly stop there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lethbridge mini-break

Hi East ~ I do remember your big adventure 5 years ago. And yes you did have a lot on your plate! But an exciting plate. It's nice to hear an update. Thanks for the note. :-)

Reply to: Lethbridge mini-break
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted