We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis rental location

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Avis rental location

Carring on from my post dated 18th september "fairmont Jasper park lodge" we are taking the advice of Judy in Calgary to hire a car in jasper for our short stay to see as much as posible.

Is the Avis rental office near or at the train station as we are coming of the "The Canadian". got an address as 414 Connaught Drive as the Avis office

I know the herzt office is at the station but would like to go with avis as we are hiring from them in Skagway Alaska so keep it on one order.

When in jasper is it to much to go to lake Louise and back in one day, dont mind long drives.

Thanks

Merc

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis rental location

Hello Merc,

The Avis office is within easy walking distance of the train station. If you don't feel like walking with your luggage, one of you could stay behind at the station with your luggage while the other walked to Avis and collected your rental car.

Technically you can drive from Jasper to Lake Louise and back again in one day, but you will SERIOUSLY short change yourselves if you do that. There are such wonderful scenic lookout points along the Icefields Parkway (the road that connects Jasper and Lake Louise). There is no way you can BEGIN to do them justice if you drive to Lake Louise and back in a day.

In addition to that, there is beautiful scenery in the vicinity of Lake Louise. You also would not be able to do justice to that if you drove to Lake Louise and back in a day. For example, there is gorgeous Moraine Lake, which is located at the end of a slightly winding side road, 9 miles (14 km) from Lake Louise.

I strongly recommend that you have a look at the suggested VIA Rail layover itineraries that have been published in the Inside Pages here at TripAdvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154917-c16200/Jasper…

Hope that helps.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis rental location

414 Connaught is also the address of Sun Dog Tours - I think it is likely that the Avis agency is in their office, which is located in the Maligne Building. When you exit the train station on Connaught Drive, turn right and walk for half a block, cross the street and you are there. The Maligne Building is beside the CIBC (bank) - you will see a sign on it that says "Jasper Dental Clinic", and Sun Dog's office is located right at the front of the building on the right hand side of the main floor. The visitor information centre is also right there (the rustic stone building with the lawn, kitty corner to the train station) - do stop in and pick up the Parks Canada brochure about the Icefield Parkway - it has distances, elevations etc and is a useful reference. You can also pick up your park permit there; or you can get it at the kiosk on highway 93 a few kilometres south of town as you start out on your drive.

Lake Louise and back is possible all in one day (I'm assuming we're talking a summertime visit?), albeit kind of long and rushed, as Judy mentioned, with not enough time to really do it justice. However, if that's all the time you have, it is certainly a good way to make the best of it, especially if you enjoy driving and are lucky enough to get a day with nice weather. The drive is absolutely stunning (and different) both ways (this from a 25 year resident of the mountains). I would suggest an early start, either packing a lunch for a picnic along the way, or stopping at Laggan's bakery in LL (I haven't been there is a few years, but it used to be very highly recommended, although very busy). The food services along the highway between Jasper and LL are very limited, very expensive, and quite frankly, very ordinary.

Summer days are long so you have that going for you. At the risk of adding even more time and distance, Field, BC is just a short distance from Lake Louise via Kicking Horse Pass and the Trans-Canada highway #1 (less than 1/2 hour west, although I forget what it is exactly). I always enjoy going through there, and if you are a railway buff, you have to stop at the Spiral Tunnels viewpoint. If you are lucky, across a rugged valley, you can see the head end of a train coming out at one end of the tunnel while the tail end is going in the other end of the tunnel. The two ends of the tunnel are almost immediately above & below each other and the rail bed was blasted out of the inside of the mountain in a spiral to moderate the grade.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis rental location

Judy & krp329

Thanks for all the good information given, if the Avis office is as close to the station as you say we will probably just walk there.

as far as trying to go to LL is was only a thought for something to do, but as you have pointed out there is lots more to see and do around Jasper.

As our holiday is not till August 2007 we have lots of time yet to sort out our 2 full days in Jasper itinerary, no doubt will be back now and again for more information.

Merc

4. Re: Avis rental location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 26, 2009