We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

My husband and I are coming over from Australia to Canada, and at the beginning of July we want to drive from Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper and then fly out of Calgary. We were wondering if we should book accommodation now or would we be able to get accommodation at this time of year no trouble. We thought we would stay in Kelowna for 2 nights, Kamloops 1 night, Clearwater 1 night, Jasper 2 nights, Banff 3 nights. And then fly out of Calgary.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks Jan

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

Wow thanks Mufti, so much to decide. After looking at the Icefields map I can see why you said to travel it in both directions there is so much to see. So looking at changing it and going from Kelowna, Revelstoke, Banff then on to Jasper. Thanks for your help.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

Good decision, Jan. On one of our days there was a very low ceiling and miserable, rainy weather from about 50km south of Jasper, and we were in driving in snow flurries near the Icefields Centre with the temp reading 1c. And that was in early June! Our first run was great weather though and every bit of that road is very scenic.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,733 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

You're welcome, Jan. Here is one more page from the Banff Forum's TQs: Must sees in the area:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,016 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

+1 for going via Revelstoke. I think that highway through Roger's Pass is more scenic and I agree that the Icefields Parkway is worth doing in both directions. It is just that spectacular. I have a couple of variations on the suggestions you've received so far, so I'll put those out there for consideration.

1. I would look at traveling to Revelstoke from Kelowna via the inland ferries and the Arrow Lakes. I guess I just like travel by boat. Its a couple of hours longer to go this way, but so beautiful. Here's the route and the ferry info, so you can look it up and decide for yourself if this route appeals.

http://goo.gl/maps/rltgZ

www.th.gov.bc.ca/marine/ferry_schedules.htm

2. I'm inclined to send you up to Jasper from Revelstoke, then return to Banff on your way to Calgary. Its a long trip up to Jasper from Revelstoke, so you wouldn't have a lot of time for stops going that way. Its not really all that big of a deal which way you do it. All depends on how far you want to drive in a day and how many times you want to move around.

Yes definitely get your accommodations booked in advance. Otherwise you will waste precious holiday time trying to find a bed for the night and could well end up either in something quite awful or horrendously expensive because all of the good value, quality accommodations are booked up. This is a highly desirable, global destination with limited options.

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

Thanks for that Frommy LOL. We are trying to get AWAY from Winter in Australia.

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

Thanks Mufti, I just printed that out. Looks like there is plenty to see.

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

Thanks Vancouverite, I have just looked at the ferries and printed out the information you posted. We will definately look into this as we love boats and ferries too.

18. Re: Travelling by car Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 17, 2015