We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Hi All,

My fiance' and I are travelling to Canada for our honeymoon and looking to stay in Jasper from the 12th to the 14th of December this year. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on where the best place to stay would be?

I've looked at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, but the only accommodation they have available seems to be a deluxe room in the main lodge.

Would really appreciate any help that anyone can provide =)

Thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Hi Michael and welcome to the TA forums! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

I'm not sure why the Fairmont JPL only has rooms in the main lodge available - it's a huge property with a few hundred rooms. Perhaps try enquiring again? I've checked a calendar and see that those are a Thursday and Friday night... unless there is a special event going on there, on the Thursday, they likely wouldn't rent more than a handful of rooms, although Friday will be a bit busier if the ski hill conditions are good then. Perhaps they have some kind of special event on (a convention, a special tour)? I would suggest enquiring directly with the hotel.

However, be aware that JPL is out of town and dining there is very expensive (they usually do offer pretty reasonable room rates at that time of year, since it is a very slow time of year). If you are interested in staying in town, hotels are listed at www.jasper.travel and private home accommodations and B&Bs at www.stayinjasper.com .

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Thanks fro your help krp329 they have got other rooms but say they are only double double occupancy =) I can see your an expert on this area, if you personally were visiting Jasper where would you choose to stay? =)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

I am a little confused... how many of you are coming? (Assume two, since you mentioned honeymoon, and if so, won't a double room do? A "double" room here means "double occupancy", ie two people)

I'm not sure where I would stay... it would depend on what I wanted to do or see. Are you planning to be here two nights or three, and how are you getting around? When choosing accommodation, I think the first place to start is: do you want to be in town or not? If not, then you have very few choices in winter. What price range are you looking for? What do you want to do while you are here? The ski hill will be open but early season conditions are not always very good (but usually fine for beginners). Early/mid December can be a bit early in the winter for most other winter activities, unless we are blessed with a lot of early season snowfall.

Edited: 2:50 am, July 11, 2013
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Good Afternoon Michael

Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.

Based on your requested stay date, we currently have the following room types available containing 1 bed:

Fairmont room - $249 per night plus tax

Deluxe, main building - $319 per night plus tax

Do you have an alternate travel date in mind?

Best Regards,

Stephanie

In-House Reservations

THE FAIRMONT JASPER PARK LODGE | Box 40 | Jasper | Alberta | T0E 1E0

phone: 780-852-3301| fax: 780-852-5107 | web: www.fairmont.com/jasper | email: jpl.reservations@fairmont.com

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Hi krp329,

We are definitely only 2 people staying. We're very keen to see some wildlife and I've heard that Maligne Canyon Ice Walk tour is really worth doing. I also would very much like to go on a dog sled tour.

We're travelling around quite a bit as we've never been to Canada before, so we're spending 3 nights in Ucluelet, then 3 nights in Whistler (where we're hoping to do some snowboarding - although neither of us know how), then we wanted to travel to Jasper (the only missing piece of the puzzle in terms of accommodation) and then onto Lake Louise before heading home.

I contacted the Fairmont Jasper by email and by phone and they seemed pretty adamant that they only accommodation they had available was a fairmont room and a deluxe main building room although when I look online they seem to have heaps of other accommodation which just comes with another bed... so not sure if they just feel that having a second bed in the room is a big no no for us... (i never said that to them)...

Price isn't a huge issue, ideally from Jasper we wanted to experience a great stay with wildlife, good food and nice accommodation with a warm fire =) A friend of ours who lived in red deer told us that Jasper was a must on our trip so that's why it's on the list =)

Thank you so much for all of your help with this btw... The only reason I'm concerned about the Fairmont is as a result of the large number of negative reviews that the hotel seems to be receiving at the moment on trip advisor.

Thanks

Michael

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

fairmont.com/jasper/…

The above link opens to descriptions of the accommodations choices. It looks like the Fairmont Room has the option of 1 King bed, 1 Queen bed, 2 double or 2 twin beds. Lots of choice there.

The deluxe room has 2 double beds. A double bed here sleeps 2 people. But there is also a deluxe with sitting area, larger room than a deluxe or a fairmont room, with the option of a King bed.

You would be booking the room for 2 people according to your bed choice. I'm not sure what is making you think they only have dble dble or how you are interpreting that.

When I do a dummy booking for your dates, I get 4 king bed and 4 queen bed fairmont options. And I see 4 king deluxe options.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Hi MuftiMixandmatch,

I'm just going by what they've told me as per the email I posted from them above =) Thanks for your help though =)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Michael ~

In the email, they say this >>Based on your requested stay date, we currently have the following room types available containing 1 bed:<< To me that means they have one bed in the categories they wrote underneath that in their email.

Did you tell them you would take a fairmont room with either a king or queen bed? I wonder why you would not want a fairmont room with a king bed?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

Hi MuftiMixandmatch,

My understanding from reading reviews on this website was that both of those rooms were quite sub standard. As this is for my honeymoon, I was looking for better quality accommodation and trying to avoid a situation of having to complain about the standard of the room...

That being said, I'm only going on what I've read... Never been to Canada before, never stayed at a Fairmont Hotel and have no idea what to expect.

Have you had experience at this hotel mate? If so would you recommend their fairmont room?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Jasper (Canada)

For the record I'm quite happy with a double bed, queen bed or king bed... It honestly doesn't matter. What mattered to me was more the view, the standard of the room etc... and going by the reviews I read I was under the impression that these rooms weren't that great.