We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

Hello all,

We will be arriving in Jasper on the viatrain, so don't get in till late afternoon (30th January). We only have the one night, and then getting the bus to Banff the next morning.

What would be our best overnight accommodation options - I'm assuming somewhere close to town as we won't have a car. There will be 4 of us (mum, dad and 2 adult daughters). Not looking for budget accom - just somewhere convenient and with good facilities if possible eg hot tub/pool. Thanks for you help.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

At that time of year, your only options (other than the Fairmont JPL) are IN town, since all the seasonal (out of town) accommodations close for the season from October through May. The Whistlers Inn is right across the street from the train station, and other hotels that are within a block or two are the Park Place Inn, the Athabasca Hotel, the Astoria Hotel, and the Amethyst. Other than those, all other in-town hotels are a few blocks away, at either end of town - nothing in town is more than a $5 taxi ride.

You can find hotels listed at www.jasper.travel - with links to each hotel's website. You won't have any difficulty booking a Wednesday night in January... winter tourism in Jasper is mainly weekends and holiday periods (Christmas, Easter, spring break).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

Thanks krp329. I'll jump on the computer over the next few days have a look at your suggestions.Happy to jump in a taxi so won't matter if it's a bit further out of town.

Will we be able to do anything in the short time we have that first day? We may end up staying an extra night in Jasper and going to Banff a day later - I haven't booked Banff accom yet.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

If you have a day in Jasper, I would suggest doing the ice walk at Maligne canyon. There are several local tour companies that offer this excursion. It's not strenuous at all. They equip you with appropriate footwear and take you into the canyon on the frozen river, where you can see the frozen waterfalls and look up the limestone walls - it's quite spectacular!

The one unknown, though, at this point, is that the Fifth Bridge, where these tours originate, is currently closed and awaiting assessment to see whether it was damaged during the periods of extreme high water we had this summer. Assuming the bridge is ok, the ice walk tours will continue as usual, but if it is not and is closed through the winter, I don't know what will happen. I suppose it's possible that the tours will just walk down from the top to the entrance to the canyon - the extra walking (especially uphill after the tour) would make it a bit more strenuous (but I'm talking about walking a total distance of probably less than 2 km).

Another option is to go skating at Mildred Lake at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. This is a cleared outdoor skating oval on a small lake, with amazing views. I love it out there, and use it a couple of times a week through the winter. If you don't want to skate, you can always walk around it... and then go have coffee or hot chocolate by the fire in the lounge in the lobby at the hotel for a touch of the "grand lodge" experience. Or, you could walk, one way from town (about 3 or 4 km - take Hazel Avenue out of town, past Old Fort Point, then trail 7 along the river), and take a taxi back (about $25, I think).

Other options are downhill skiing or snowboarding at Marmot Basin, or cross country skiing or snowshoeing.

Edited: 2:45 pm, September 05, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

More food for thought - thanks krp329.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

the Astoria Hotel, and the Amethyst are definitly budget hotels. i would not recommend them.

the athabasca is an old hotel. some rooms have their own bathrooms, some don't. it is known as a party place so the bar can get loud.

do a search on this site...there are a lot of recommendations. also, type in jasper under hotels and it will give you some recommendations. i know the sawridge had a pool and hot tub. it would be a "middle of the road" type hotel. chateau jasper look nice, and jasper inn...haven't stayed at either. just make sure they ware only a few blocks from the main part of town. it could be really cold and i'm assuming you'll be walking or using a taxi.

alberta
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

The previous poster mentioned the Jasper Inn. It is a little farther away from the centre of town, but still within walking distance if everyone is reasonably healthy (10 minute walk). The rooms there are usually pretty good, plus it has a really good restaurant. It also has a pool (can't remember if there's a hot tub but the website will likely confirm if there is one). It is now a Best Western hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

Personally, I'd scratch the Athabasca and Whistler's from the list, but that's just me. Those are lower budget and can be noisy (especially the Athabasca since there is a bar underneath it). I also don't like the Amethyst or Lobstick. I find the accomodations are just OK at best at both. I've had experiences at both of those places where kids have been running up and down the hallways making lots of noise. Not my thing.

A good option that a previous poster mentioned is Park Place Inn. It can be hard to find if you don't know Jasper. The rooms are lovely at PP Inn and you get great value for the price. The location can't be beat - they are right in the middle of town, close to everything. Some rooms have their own in-suite hot tubs, but there is no pool.

I stayed at the Sawridge a few months ago and was very, very disappointed. It used to be very good. It is in dire need of renos and I would not stay there again until it is renovated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

Thanks everyone for your help. I think the Park Place Inn looks like the best choice for our needs.

Is Sundog tours the only option to get to Banff from Jasper? Don't want to hire a car. Thanks again.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

Yes, in winter, Sundog is the only option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

Thanks krp329.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jasper accommodation for 1 night only:-(

Getting close to our holiday - can't wait.Decided to stay 2 nights in Jasper so at least we will have 1 full day there. Just wondering how the Maligne canyon ice walk compares to the Johnston Canyon walk. Trying to work out which activities to do from Jasper, and which to do from Banff.