We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel/travel advice for late booking this Sept long

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
T D
Calgary, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need hotel/travel advice for late booking this Sept long

Hi there,

Ok, so as it stands I am aware that I am very late in asking this and that my conditions may be damn near impossible to meet. Me and my boyfriend are looking to spend 2 nights away this weekend, leaving Friday and staying until Sunday (I know… Should have thought of this before Sept long was 3 days away). We would be leaving from Calgary and are very open to any and all suggestions that may be a cool trip for us to go on. We were thinking Banff but of course that’s all sold out by now. It doesn’t have to be in the mountains though, it could be anywhere that’s possible to get to in a decent amount of time after about 4 Friday night. I know there’s Sylvan Lake, but we stayed there last summer. I was even thinking Edmonton so we could go to West Ed but that’s so similar to Calgary in so many ways. So, are there any hidden treasures out there that may not be all booked by now? We like to go out, explore the town, have different options to eat and have drinks. We like when the town isn’t dead by 10 at night. Also, we don’t have a credit card so it would need to be one that accepts cash or debit for booking. Like I said, I know this is damn near impossible this close to Sept long but any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel/travel advice for late booking this Sept long

There are online vacancy reports for Jasper accommodations -

Hotels/motels/cabins (only shows four days in advance): www.jasperparkchamber.ca/u/vacancy.phtml

Private home accommodations and B&B (shows ten days in advance):

http://www.stayinjasper.com/avcal/report.asp

I would not advise arriving in Jasper without an advance reservation on the long weekend.

T D
Calgary, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel/travel advice for late booking this Sept long

No, I would never arrive without a reservation. This may be a stupid question, but in those vacany reports, are those numbers showing how many rooms are left? Also, do you know if they would accept my Mom's credit card for booking and I could pay cash when I arrived (we're over 18 and I have the same last name as my mom)... Thanks for your suggestions and help, krp329!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel/travel advice for late booking this Sept long

Yes, the vacancy reports show the number of rooms that are left.

I don't know about the credit card question - when you give credit card details to guarantee a reservation, if you are a "no show" or there are any damages (or smoking in a non-smoking room), they will charge the card... is your mom ok with that? Technically speaking, only the card holder can actually authorize the charge; if you are not the card holder, they may ask to speak to your mom. In practice though, most hotels wouldn't charge the card in advance and would ask you to present the card for payment if that is how you plan to pay, so when you arrive, you could pay with cash or debit.

With private home accommodations or B&Bs, note that there are very few that accept credit cards, and it is actually fraudulent for them to ask for credit card information unless they have a merchant account with a credit card company and can process charges. If they ask for credit card information, I would suggest asking if you can pay with a credit card (even if you don't plan to); if they hedge or say they need payment in cash, I would suggest looking elsewhere, or give them a fake credit card number (so that you don't need to worry about your mom's credit card number not being properly safeguarded by a reputable merchant).

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel/travel advice for late booking this Sept long

Kicking Horse.

https:/…

Lake Louise also still has a couple of openings, but they will be gone by the end of the day.

5. Re: Need hotel/travel advice for late booking this Sept long

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, December 15, 2013