We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation 25-28th Aug help please

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Accomodation 25-28th Aug help please

I know we have left this late to book but it seems like it will be a choice between

Overlander Mountain lodge

Marmot lodge

Maligne lodge

We are 4 with two teens m and f. I have looked at B and B but as we need single beds or 3 doubles they are hard to find and mostly booked...not surprisingly

I know Overlander is outside town but wondered really whether that was much of an issue. We can always drive in to eat?

I think I really need to book something so any help woulld be great

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation 25-28th Aug help please

Just a FYI - the Overlander Mountain Lodge is not in the town of Jasper (nor in Jasper National Park) - it's located on highway 16 just a few kilometres east of the national park's east entry, closer to the town of Hinton. It's about a 40 minute drive from Overlander Lodge to the town of Jasper, or about 20 to Hinton (which mainly has fast food and chain restaurants).

Oops, on re-reading your post, I see you are aware of this... they do have lovely views there, and if you don't mind the extra time in the car everyday, it would certainly be "do-able". The thing is, though, that there is absolutely nothing else around (other than a few homes and a stables/horseback riding operation) - it's not like staying in town where you can go for a stroll around downtown, window shopping, have an ice cream cone etc.

The Marmot Lodge and Maligne Lodge are both located in town; the Marmot at the east end of Connaught Drive, and the Maligne at the west end of Connaught. Both would be about a 10 - 15 minute walk to downtown (or less than five minute drive). The Marmot is located closer to many dining options - there are various restaurants in the various hotels in the cluster at that end of town; there is a restaurant next door to the Maligne Lodge at the Mt. Robson motel, although at both, you'd probably be better off going downtown to eat. (There are a few exceptions, but generally hotel restaurants are not that great.)

There are quite a number of private home accommodations in Jasper geared to families, with two bedrooms & one of which with twin beds. I just did a search of the listings at http://www.stayinjasper.com/search.asp using "twin beds" and "4 guests" as the criteria, and 33 homes came up. Some of these are very popular and likely already booked, but chances are that there is still availability at some of them too. I would suggest drafting a generic email enquiry with your requirements, and including a statement that you're okay with the host forwarding your enquiry to other hosts or to any networks they have, click on the email links in the listings, copy/paste and send .... there is an active email network some hosts use and if you happen to get one of those with your email, they will forward it, increasing your chances of finding something.

While still peak season, the last week of August is often a bit of a lull - Canadian kids go back to school after the Labour Day weekend (school starts the first Tuesday in September), so there aren't as many families travelling in that last week before school starts, and while there are lots of kid-less travellers in September, I think they avoid August because it has a reputation for being super-busy (although there is not a huge difference between late August and early September).

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation 25-28th Aug help please

Thanks that info was really helpful and has deleted one from the list. The teens like to be out and about on their own so nothing around would not suit them.

I will try your cut and paste idea and see what pops up.

I agree down town sounds better for eating not keen on hotel restuarants either so either lodge would do if cut and paste doesn't work

3. Re: Accomodation 25-28th Aug help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Jasper