We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper accommodations

Israel
Level Contributor
470 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper accommodations

I will be in Jasper the first week of August. We are 4 adults and one teenager. We are looking for suitable accommodations for 4 nights--hotel or guesthouse, 2 rooms with minibar or refrigator and hopefully a microwave. The hotels listed on TripAdvisor seem very expensive or have poor reviews. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper accommodations

It's not a hotel but try beckers chalets for a price. They have a small kitchen with a fridge, freezer, microwave etc and a shop on site. They are 5km south of Jasper just off the main road next to the river. Plenty of picnic tables and you can hire BBQs if the weathers nice.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper accommodations

nosaat, we'll also be in Jasper the first week in August. We're staying in a private home accomodation (PHA), as we are for several of the towns we'll be visiting. Many have more than one bedroom. They seem like great alternatives to overpriced hotel rooms. I'm not sure what's available, but I booked our place months ago. I thoroughly checked out the following web sites for help.

http://www.stayinjasper.com/

http://www.bbcanada.com/

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,057 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper accommodations

It can help when looking at reviews to check the history of the reviewer. Sometimes you see people who just have a bone to pick because of one bad experience and so they sign up on TA, have their beef, and leave. If the reviewer only has the one contribution, then I would be suspect. I would be more inclined to trust the reviews made by regular contributors with at least a few dozen posts who appear to have made both positive and negative reviews before evaluating a place on that basis.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,792 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jasper accommodations

There is a long (holiday) weekend in August (the 3rd to the 6th), so I would suggest you start making enquiries as quickly as possible if your visit falls over those dates. That weekend is the busiest time of the summer tourist season and often a sell-out, or close to it, for all accommodation in the Jasper area (for everything from camping & hostels, to hotels and PHAs).

At the www.stayinjasper.com website, there is a search function - I would suggest using the "number of guests = 5" search to narrow down the list to the homes that can accommodate that many people. Fridge and microwave are also criteria you can use to search; however, they are quite commonly provided at many private home accommodations.

Many of the same homes are also listed at the other site that relayer gave (bbcanada) so you can get further information there, as well as see photos. Some of the homes also have an availability calendar there, so you can see whether they have a vacancy or not.

Regarding the hotel reviews for Jasper - hotel rates here are quite expensive in the summer, and I think one of the reason for many poor reviews is that people have higher expectations, based on what they are paying. As far as I know, there are only two hotels in town (and also a couple of the cabin places) with rates under $200 per night, and the rest are more... and these are just average, standard rooms. Rates are elevated (inflated?) by high demand in the summer.

Edited: 11:35 am, June 17, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jasper accommodations

Also call the Athabasca Hotel about a family suite. Years ago we booked that for the 5 of us. It may not show up on their online booking page - but they have a toll free number you can call and find out if they have it anymore. My recollection is that it had no fridge etc. But it is convenient to grocery store (kiddy-corner) and has free parking etc. Its dead central in town. Reviews are mixed and one of mine might be posted to TA.

Mentioned in this post
Athabasca Hotel
Athabasca Hotel
345 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Israel
Level Contributor
470 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jasper accommodations

Thank you for your responses. We booked Beckers Chalets. I'll write a review after the trip.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jasper accommodations

Beckers has such a beautiful location. with the river right across the street. The have comfy old wooden chairs out for guests on the river bank - a great place to enjoy a morning coffee and read. Enjoy.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,792 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jasper accommodations

CanadianBoys, you're thinking of Alpine Village (with the river across the street). Beckers is located right on the river - no road crossing necessary. It's on a bend on the river, on a set of rapids - always entertaining to watch the kayakers and rafts going by.

9. Re: Jasper accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:45 pm, June 25, 2013