We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jasper & Banff in July -

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jasper & Banff in July -

My husband, daughter and I are hoping to fly into Calgary on June 30th, 2012. Ultimately we want to spend several days in the area of Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. We have about 8 days of sightseeing.

1st Question, Is there a central location to encompass Banff & Jasper that we should focus on staying? Or is it better to split the stay between the two locations, ie two days in Banff, two days in Jasper?

We were also thinking of going to Waterton Park & Glacier National Park during those eight days. My itinerary would be something like:

2 days in Waterton/Glacier National Park

2 days in Banff

2 days in Jasper

1 day along the Icefield

Would we be spreading ourselves too thin by including Waterton & Glacier in these eight days?

I'm interested too in the safety of hiking and the bears. Must we be in a party of 4 for safety? Or is it just certain areas that we have to be cautious?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

I would stick to the Banff area parks. Trying to throw Waterton and Glacier US in there is way too much and you would be rushing thru all the parks Without getting a good feel for any of them. I don't think you will regret it and it just means you will have to head back to enjoy a visit to Glacier.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

8 full days is perfect for basing yourself out of Banff for 4 full days and Jasper for 3 days. Truthfully, you'll find 8 days is not enough for this area - so please get that notion of Waterton/Glacier out of your head. :) It's way, way too much. These are each places to spend one week. Meaning, it's very easy to enjoy a week exclusively in Banff National Park. In fact, I'd recommend it! But, I understand that people want to squeeze as much in as possible.

Therefore, I would recommend focusing on Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. Did you know? Within driving distance of Banff, are the amazing Yoho National Park and Kootenay National Park. That's as well as Banff National Park - so much to see and do! You'll also want to leave some time to actually do some activities and this all takes time. We want you to enjoy your vacation, not drive by it all and go home exhausted.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

Ok - thanks for setting me straight! I have a friend who encouraged me to also include Yellowstone in those eight days!!!!

If anyone has any suggestions on getting accomodations in Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper or any of the outlying areas I'd appreciate it! We won't be camping as we will be flying in from Florida. Not looking to stay in luxury, just neat and clean. Would anyone recommend staying in Canmore or Golden for the Banff/Lake Louise portion?

I just bought the Lonely Planet Banff, Jasper and Glacier NP guides. I'm quickly looking through it as I need to really get on this!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,644 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

Jasper is too far from Banff to visit from a base in Banff, so I'd suggest some time in both. The drive between Lake Louise and the town of Jasper along the Icefields Parkway is one of the highlights of the area; plan for a whole day with all the stops at lakes, waterfalls, look-outs etc. and pack a picnic lunch to enjoy at one of the many picnic sites along the way.

You will be arriving on a long weekend for some (Canada Day is Sunday, July 1, so some people will have a holiday on the Monday), so it will be a busy time - I would suggest getting that spell booked asap. You will find all Banff accommodation options at www.banfflakelouise.com and Jasper hotels and cabins at www.jasper.travel , and Jasper private home accommodations and B&Bs at www.stayinjasper.com . (These are an economical alternative to hotels.)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

Thank you. I just went to reserve my airline tickets and found out that the travel certificates I wanted to use are not available for the date I wanted to fly to Calgary! Now we are looking at July 7th - 15th! I'm sure I'm going to have a little more trouble finding rooms in the middle of July!

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

I don't know what your "friend" was thinking! I spent 2 weeks in Glacier/Waterton Lakes last year and will spend 2 weeks in Banff/Jasper this year. I also spent 10 days seeing Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. These parks are so grand, you need time to enjoy the beauty and wildlife which can't be done on a whistlestop tour.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

All the plans are set! We were able to get four nights in Banff & three in Jasper. Just booked my nights in and out of Calgary. I guess my friend likes to see it all - maybe more of a "sampler" kind of traveler. My husband said he does not want to be spending the whole time driving. So we will be settled in those two areas for the whole vacation.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

You will be in Calgary during the Stampede so your lucky you got any room at all. While some tour companies do Glacier and the Rockies as an 8 day tour it is totally rushed but you could see the bare basics. Look at

caravan.com

to see a sample itinerary.

9. Re: Jasper & Banff in July -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, June 21, 2013