We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Jasper

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Winter in Jasper

We are arriving in Jasper on Feb. 28 by train and will spend three days there. Seems like everything is closed!

We like to hike/see things we don't have in Missouri US (like mountains and lots of snow).

What do you all suggest we do in the winter?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,007 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Jasper

www.jasperadventurecentre.com/winter.html

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,175 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Jasper

Everything is closed? I guess that depends on your definition of "everything". It's true that the hot springs, the gondola and the Maligne boat cruise are closed, as well as the road to Mt. Edith Cavell (which is tracked as a ski trail starting from Feb. 15) but the ski hill is open ( www.skimarmot.com ), and there are groomed cross country ski trails, and outdoor ice skating available. Or, rent some snowshoes and go for a trek - the folks at the trail office can give you advice on where to go.

Another winter activity is the Maligne Canyon ice walk - a guide will take you into the bottom of the canyon on the frozen river, for a unique (and beautiful) view that you can't get in summer, when you view the canyon from the bridges above.

Besides Jasper Adventure Centre (thanks for the link, V67!), there is also Sundog Tours, Overlander Tours and the Jasper Tour Company - I believe all of them offer the ice walk tour, wildlife tours etc. By the way, the guy narrating the videos on the Sundog website opened his own tour company (the Jasper Tour Company). Here are links:

http://sundogtours.com/sightseeing_winter.php

http://www.overlandertrekking.com/

http://jaspertourcompany.com/

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Jasper

Gosh, no - things aren't closed. But, the reality of sightseeing in winter is significantly different than sightseeing in summer.

In winter - we focus on activities like snowshoeing, toboganning, skating, skiing, cross-country skiing and sightseeing by car are your choices. Where there's snow and winter - you go and "Play in the snow". "Hiking" in the winter months means "hiking" with either snowshoes or skis on your feet. There are also options for bigger ticketed items like snowmobiling or dogsledding.

The Canadian Rockies s are buried in snow in the winter months - afterall it's Winter. That means things like trails and roads are close for 7 - 8 months a year. As well as being active outside, we enjoy short walk where possible and we also enjoy time relaxing - think spas, coffee shops and restaurants. Our winter temperatures can be cold, so that is also another reality of life in the Canadian Rockies. Usually, it doesn't stop us - but for a visitor from Australian or Hawaii, it can be a little shocking. :)

Afterall, it's winter in the Canadian Rockies!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in Jasper

Thank you for these ideas!

I talked to Jasper Adventure Centre right away and they are very helpful!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter in Jasper

I am sure we will find plenty to do. I want to try snow shoeing - we can't do that down south here. We are looking forward to being in colder than we've ever known - hope our clothes stand up to the temp.

Can we drive by the ice fields. I mean is the road open? The books make it sound like you can only go on that road in a snomobile in winter.

I'm sure these questions are silly but I just can't tell from the info I've got.

thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter in Jasper

The Icefields Parkway is open year-round. I wouldn't recommend you drive it yourself in February, though, unless you happen to have lots of winter driving experience. The road is very lightly travelled in the winter, and it is only patrolled by highway workers until 4 pm. However, Sundog Tours has regular shuttle buses with experienced drivers that will take you there, or all the way to Banff or Lake Louise if you like: sundogtours.com/sightseeing_winter_jasper-ba…

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter in Jasper

I'll check out the shuttle. thanks for taking the time to respond. It really helps!

8. Re: Winter in Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, May 18, 2013