We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amount of Bug Encounters Different in Lake or River Areas?

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Amount of Bug Encounters Different in Lake or River Areas?

This probably seems like a silly question - I realize there are going to be mosquitos but I'm deciding whether to book a cabin on lakefront or river and I've heard mosquitos can be nasty in July. My children are both highly reactive to bites and the bugs seem to feast on us so I'm just wondering if booking at the river location opposed to the lake is wiser or does it really even matter?

Any experience anyone has had would be super appreciated :) Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,386 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amount of Bug Encounters Different in Lake or River Areas?

Mosquitoes breed in standing water, and they don't need a whole lot of water to do it - they can breed in small puddles, not just lakes or wetlands. Here are some examples: http://www.mosquitoes.org/backyard.html

So the river is a better bet, but if there have been rains recently, that could create breeding grounds for mosquitoes no matter where you are. Sorry.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amount of Bug Encounters Different in Lake or River Areas?

Every area is different - and it (meaning the amount of mosquitoes in any given place) change daily and weekly depending on the weather. Here in Banff, you'll have some areas which are absolutely fine - and then 15km away in a different location you might get eaten alive. :) If we get a frost (and we do, even in July they all disappear. And if we get a wind - they all blow away.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amount of Bug Encounters Different in Lake or River Areas?

Mosquito season here in Jasper usually gets going from sometime after the first few days of July, and goes until about mid-August.... mosquitoes are usually not a big problem on Canada Day, but can be just a few days later.

Forested areas tend to have lots of mosquitoes, in season, so some of the cabins that are in treed areas near lakes may be quite bad, especially in July. Sites that are more open are likely to be breezier, so not as mosquitoey. Still, unless it's a windy evening, I would not expect to be able to sit out in the evening without using insect repellent, other than in downtown Jasper.

Edited: 4:26 pm, January 31, 2012
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amount of Bug Encounters Different in Lake or River Areas?

Thanks to all of you for the advice - i was going back and forth between jasper house bungalows located on the river and pat lake bungalows on the lake obviously. we are used to coating up with repellant but have never been up to the rockies area before so not real sure what to expect and i don't want to make the wrong choice :)

5. Re: Amount of Bug Encounters Different in Lake or River Areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, May 22, 2013