We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scranton...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel

Bringing a small group from Toronto to Jasper 2013 in late May on VIA Rail. Are there taxi's in Jasper? If not how do you get to the hotels? What hotel would you recommend? We will be staying for 3 nights and then getting back on the train to Vancouver. We are a group of active 60 year olds. Ideas for our time in Jasper? Thanks so much.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel

Taxis are plentiful in Jasper.

There are hotels in three areas of town - at the east end, the west end (both about a 10 - 15 minute walk from downtown), and a few hotels that are downtown (within a block or two of the train station). You can read reviews here on TripAdvisor, or find the hotels listed (as well as the paid attractions and activities) at www.jasper.travel .

Will you be renting a car while you are here? (How big is your group?) Jasper National Park is a rather large area, and having a vehicle is the most convenient way to sightsee.

The national park website has information on the scenic gems in the area:

www.pc.gc.ca/jasper

Scranton...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel

Thank you for your quick response. I am currently organizing my group in conjunction with AAA. I am thinking we will be 14 - 20 people. Commitment is expected by May 14th this year. We have to book Via Rail 11 months out.

I was looking at Park Place Inn.

I personally am thinking hiking first day. Horseback riding and hot springs second day and early canoe trip last day. I saw motor cycle ride is very popular.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel

The Park Place Inn is located right downtown, and if you and your fellow travellers have manageable luggage, you wouldn't even need a taxi. From the station, you would cross the street, go through the walkway beside the Chaba Theatre to cut through to Patricia Street, turn left, and walk half a block up the street. If walking with luggage isn't manageable, you could pile all the luggage in a cab with one person and the rest of you could walk... the Park Place Inn is literally less than a five minute walk from the train station.

So I take it you are renting cars or other vehicles? (to get to the hot springs and to a hiking trail head?) If you are not renting vehicles, one of the local tour companies may offer an excursion to the hot springs - check with Sundog Tours or the Jasper Adventure Centre.

Another option... there is a new tour company in Jasper called Jasper Tour Company http://jaspertourcompany.com/ - I think one of the things they can do is set up custom itineraries with transportation for groups like yours; you might want to contact them.

Late May is still early in the season for hiking at higher elevations, but there are lots of lower trails that will be in good condition by then. Trails on the Pyramid Bench can be accessed from town; my favourite hike from town is on the other side of the valley: the Old Fort Point loop. It has only a small elevation gain but you get panoramic views of the "three valley confluence", surrounding peaks, and the Jasper townsite. The Valley of the FIve Lakes is also a good, lower elevation option, however the trail head is located about 15 km south of town.

The trees will just be leafing out while you are here (aspens are the main deciduous tree around, but we also have some cottonwoods and birches). May is a good time for wildlife sighting, as almost all species of animals are concentrated in the valley bottoms where it is greening up (the high country is still snowy and spring comes later there); also, it's calving season for many animals - elk, deer, bighorn sheep, which attracts the predator species (black and grizzly bears, wolves, coyotes & cougars).

All the horse riding stables are reasonably close to town, so if you don't have a vehicle, you could take taxis. One stable is at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (I think it's about $20 or $25 by cab, each way), and the others are up Pyramid Lake Road, near Patricia Lake.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel

Thank you so much. You have helped so much!!!!! I am not sure if we are renting cars yet or depending on tour companies. I am collecting things to do and then presenting it to the group. I figure I can run it like a cruise and have people pick what they would like to do. Kinda like shore excursions on a cruise. There are 9 of us that typically travel together so I will check with them this Friday as we are meeting about this years cruise from Montreal to Boston. Any other ideas you have would be appreciated. Thanks again.

5. Re: Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, April 18, 2013