We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zip-line near Jasper

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
266 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Zip-line near Jasper

Hi,

We will be in Jasper for a few days and were hoping to zip-line with the kids. I see there is a place in Banff but we would prefer to hang in Jasper. I goggled some info on a place near Jasper but can't really figure out how to contact or where they are, of even if they really exist.

Anyone heard of this place?

thanks, Susan

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

Well, you're doing better than I am - I can't find anything for a zipline in the Jasper area, aside from a few articles about a zipline that was planned for Hinton, about an hour east of Jasper. But it looks like that didn't go through.

Share the links that you found and that might help.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
266 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

Okay! I found him. Was not easy as I was looking off and on for several days. They are called Alternative Adventure and do not have a website but are on Facebook (I will have to ask my son how to access that!). They are 10.5 km west of Hinton just outside of Jasper National Park on Hwy 16 and the owner's name is Darrell. I have his number but am I allowed to post that here? We are going to Jasper in 2 weeks so I will post a follow-up after we "fly." It sounds like a lot of fun.

Susan

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

No, please don't post his info. I guess he changed his company name, because I did come up with a zipline operation run by a Darrel in that location but with a different name. And there wasn't a website for that company either.

Hinton
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

Yes, the zipline is called Alternative Adventures. They don't have a website so to make a reservation or for more information call (780) 817-9696. There was an article about this company on Jasper newspaper, Fitzhugh, which a reporter wrote his experience about ziplining. Here is the link: www.fitzhugh.ca/news/155-learning-to-fly. Unlike other ziplining where you are sitting upright in a harness, with this one you will fly "super hero" style like hang gliding. It is quite an adrenaline rush. The first ride is $50 and the drape run is $75 per person. The first ride is very smooth and you will experience bigger drop and swinging motion with the drape run. If you like an adventure, the drape run is much more fun. You have to try the first run before you do the drape run, as they have to see your abilities. Susan, let me know how you liked it.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
266 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

Thanks for the link to the article. I will post when I return. I sure hope I don't chicken out! I know my son won't! Looking forward to my second time back to Jasper National Park.

Susan

6. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, July 13, 2010
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
266 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

Back from Jasper and want to update on the zip-lining at Alternative Adventures. This was totally awesome but really hard to describe in words. First, Darryl, the guy that runs it, is so professional and knowledgeable. Darryl takes his time to talk you through everything so that you feel comfortable and shows you how to use your arms to make adjustments as you fly. And he is really good at reading you. I could see this with the 4 of us. I would dare to say he is a bit Zen-like. All 4 of us leapt off the roof and "flew" through the air. It was amazing.

It started out with my 16 year old son knowing he would do it, my husband thinking he might do it, me, a 50-something women wanting to do it, and our 20 year old daughter who at first was not going to even get out of the car. Well, I went second after my boy, and then my daughter demanded to go next! Not even that, she begged to do it again! So we let the kids go twice and seriously I wished to go again and again. After leaving we talked about how great it was that we had all done this. For us as a family, it was a bonding experience.

Most words I want to write here to describe this sound so lacking to the real experience, I will just have to say that it was exciting and freeing and a great way to start our week-long trip in Jasper.

Oh, Alternative Adventures zipline is located between Hinton and the entrance to the park. Look for the sign on the right side of the road if you are headed from Hinton. I think we got pretty lucky without booking ahead, but called in the morning from Hinton and got their early on Sunday morning. Their were other people ready to go right after us. Have fun!

Susan

Hinton
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your report on Alternative Adventues. Sounds like this was an amazing experience for you and I am glad you had a good time.

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

Does anyone know what age they'll take the kids?? I have a very athletic 8yr old boy who is dying to try this out!

Hinton
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zip-line near Jasper

I know as young as 3 years old and as old as 89 years old have tried the Zip-line. I am sure your 8 year old boy will have a fantastic experience!