We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel for July?

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hotel for July?

We will be driving from Vacnouver to Calgary via Jasper and all the lakes, glaciers, etc. Where should we stay in/around Jasper? How much time will we end up spending there? How early should I be booking for first week of July?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel for July?

There are a number of chalet type properties just outside of Jasper townsite that are popular. They include Alpine Village, Beckers Chalets, Pine Bungalows, Jasper House Bungalows, Tekarra Lodge, and Patricia Lake Bungalows. Pyramid Lake Resort offers condo-style, self-catering units.

You mentioned in another thread that you were on a budget. You would be able to find reasonably priced accommodation if you did an Internet search for HOME ACCOMMODATIONS + JASPER. Home accommodation is like a B&B, but without breakfast. However, many of the home accommodations in Jasper come with kitchenettes or kitchens. In addition to that, there are places where you can get a reasonably priced breakfast in Jasper townsite.

Two home accommodations that have received good reviews on the travel discussion forums are Crayston's and 105 Patricia Street.

Something to be aware of is that it is not uncommon for tourist accommodation in Jasper to have strings attached to it. One fairly common "string" is a minimum 2-night stay requirement (which often is increased to a 3-night stay requirement over long weekends). Another common "string" is a stringent cancellation policy, anywhere from 72 hours to 14 days. So do read the fine print.

The above mentioned "strings" are an indication that accommodation gets booked up in Jasper in the summer. Especially if you are trying to find something quite nice on a budget, you would be well advised to book several months in advance. It would not be overkill, in my opinion, to be booking something for July in January - February.

I suggest you avoid anything that is described as being in Jasper East or in Hinton. Neither of those locations is centrally located enough to serve as a convenient base for sight seeing in Jasper National Park, in my opinion.

>>>>>>How much time will we end up spending there?<<<<<<

It's difficult to answer that question without knowing how long you have to spend on the entire trip, what your interests are, etc. I would say Jasper needs an absolute minimum of 2 nights. It would be even better to spend 3 nights if you could spare the time. That's the amount of time I would suggest if Jasper was only one of several places in which you would be stopping during a longer trip. If you treated Jasper as a destination in its own right, you easily could spend a week there.

If you look at the itineraries on my web site, they'll give you ideas of things to see and do in the mountain national parks. The TIPS section has links to practical information about Weather, What To Pack, National Park Entry Fees, Driving Distances and Times, etc. Sorry if I'm repeating this. I can't remember what I have and have not told you in previous threads.

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips/

Hope that helps.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,867 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel for July?

As above, I'm unsure on the overall timescale for your trip - but assuming no serious constraints - then a minimim of 2 nights (& preferably 3) would be my initial suggestion. However, I would recommend maximising on more time in the Lake Louise / Banff area than in Jasper area. Similarly, more time in the mountain areas than in Calgary city.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel for July?

Thanks; we were only going to spend one day in Calgary.

I didn't realize there was that much for 3 days in July, but of course we want to do the glacier tour and gondola rides, etc...all of the natural beauty of the lakes. The problem is we fly to Vancouver have a wedding ont he first of July and 2nd of July then we are free until the 11th. We'd like to get in Vancouver, National Parks, etc head smashed in buffalo jump, etc. Are we overplanning?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel for July?

>>>>>>Are we overplanning?<<<<<<

Yes, in my opinion you are. Fascinating as I find Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, I don't think you have time for it.

I recommend that you spend one extra day in Vancouver after the wedding, and preferably two extra days.

When you say you're free until the 11th, I don't know what that means. Does it mean you can use the 11th for sight seeing, or does it mean you need to fly home on the 11th?

In any event, regardless of whether your departure date is the 11th or the 12th, Calgary does not have a place on an itinerary that is as ambitious as your is. I suggest you use Calgary only as a place from which to fly out of Western Canada.

Here are a couple of suggested itineraries:

SUGGESTED ROUTE FOR JULY 12TH FLIGHT

July 1 – Wedding

July 2 – Wedding

July 3 – Explore Vancouver.

July 4 – Explore Vancouver.

July 5 – Drive via Manning Provincial Park and Princeton to Kelowna in the Okanagan Valley.

July 6 – Drive to Lake Louise.

July 7 – Explore the LL area.

July 8 – Drive the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

July 9 – Explore the Jasper area.

July 10 – Drive back down the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise, and then drive on to Banff. Do not think it’s a waste of time to drive the Icefields Parkway twice. The scenery looks different when it’s viewed from opposite directions.

July 11 – Explore Banff area.

July 12 – Fly home. I assume you’ll be catching a domestic flight, without the need to clear U.S. immigration and customs at Calgary Airport. In that case you’ll need to leave Banff townsite 4 hours before your flight’s departure time. (Someone catching an international flight would need to leave Banff townsite 5 hours before take off.) If your flight leaves early in the morning, spend the previous day exploring the Banff area, but drive to Calgary in the evening and spend your last night in Calgary.

Please see the explanation for getting to the airport and the amount of time required to do so on this page of my web site:

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips…

SUGGESTED ROUTE FOR JULY 11TH DEPARTURE

July 1 – Wedding

July 2 – Wedding

July 3 – Explore Vancouver.

July 4 – Explore Vancouver.

July 5 – Drive to Whistler and on to Kamloops.

July 6 – Drive to Jasper, detouring into Wells Gray Provincial Park to see Helmcken Falls on the way.

July 7 – Explore the Jasper area.

July 8 – Drive the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise, and spend the night in Lake Louise or Banff, whichever you choose as your base for exploring Banff National Park.

July 9 – From your base in LL or Banff, visit Moraine Lake and nearby Yoho National Park (Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake).

July 10 – From your base in LL or Banff, explore Banff townsite and its surroundings (Johnston Canyon, Sulphur Mountain Gondola, etc.).

July 11 – Fly home.

If you have not already looked at the suggested 12-day itinerary on my web site, I believe it would help if you did so. It would give you an idea of the amount of stuff there is to see and do in the Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff areas. (The itinerary on my website is for east to west travel, i.e., Calgary - Rockies - Vancouver. Since you'll be travelling from west to east, you'll need to reverse my directions.)

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips…

Hope that helps.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel for July?

Hi itryalot,

The information Judy in Calgary gave you is right on the mark, but I wanted to comment on a couple of things. You can find listings for some of the home accommodations and B&Bs (yes, Jasper does have B&Bs - at least 25 of them) here on tripadvisor.com. The website for the Jasper Home Accommodation Association, which has complete home accommodation/B&B listings, is at stayinjasper.com. You can download the listings (pdf files), or search through them using various criteria to narrow your choices. There are over 170 home accommodations & B&Bs in Jasper and area (including Jasper East, which is just outside the east gate to the park, about 40 minutes' drive from Jasper townsite.)

The homes with private facilities at the nicer end of the scale book up the earliest, and, as Judy mentioned, some have strict deposit & cancellation policies - however, this is not unique to Jasper; you will find similar policies in B&Bs across the country. These policies, by the way, protect both the visitor and the host - having paid a deposit, you know that there will be a room waiting for you, and the hosts have the security of knowing the room is rented and are not turning away other would-be guests only to have the room sit empty if the guest doesn't show.

As to when to book ... some summer visitors start making enquiries just after Christmas (I think that families getting together during one holiday reminds them to start planning for their summer vacation); by March/April the nicer places & ones with private facilities are getting pretty booked up, but you can still find something - it just may take a little more work (more enquiries). Obviously, if you are booking later, it is easier to find some place with a two night vacancy than a seven night one.

If you are a group of four or more people travelling together, take a look at the listings for homes with two bedrooms (there are a few homes with three rooms that can take groups of up to eight guests) and a shared bath. Don't be put off by the "shared" bath - if you book both rooms for your group, you will be "sharing" the bath with your travelling companions, not strangers.

Hope this helps!

Jasper, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel for July?

Another option for you would be to stay at Sunwapta Falls Resort or The Columbia Icefields for one of the nights. Sunwapta is 53 km south of Jasper and the Icefields is 106 km south of Jasper. This would give you a head start down the road and you could stop at the points of interest along the highway on your way to Banff and Calgary.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel for July?

Wowie! Thanks Judy and all others; that is the itinerary I was planning, but didn't know exactly if I was on the mark. I will have to check out options and begin looking into hotels during the holidays. I am open to BandBs too.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel for July?

hey itry;we live about a 3 hour drive from jasper and when we stay in jasper we stay at the jasper inn.we always rent the loft unit with the wood burning fireplace.it's not 5 star-nor is it one star.check it out.I cannot top the advice judy gave you-so I will leave it at that...the cabinman

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel for July?

Thanks cabinman. Will we need a fireplace in July? You're making me nervous!:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel for July?

Hi,

I too will be driving from Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper in late June.

Provisional itinerary is Vancouver 4 nights, Kamloops 1, Jasper 3, Field 4, Banff 2. Then flying to Toronto for 4 nights before fying back to London. Be interested in anything you learn (or others may advise) Thanks