We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying at the hostel with no transportation

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, SK
1 post
Save Topic
staying at the hostel with no transportation

Just wondering if anyone is staying at the jasper hostel and is working at marmot ski resort and has to walk to the highway to cach the shuttle. How far is the hostel to the highway and does anyone want to walk with me?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying at the hostel with no transportation

Hi goodwoodboarder -

I assume you are talking about Whistlers hostel, which is up Whistlers Road almost to the Tramway? I'm not sure of the exact distance of the hostel from the highway so I looked it up on my trust topo map. It appears to be about 2.5 km, with an elevation difference of 160 meters (downhill from the hostel to the highway) ... which doesn't sound like much, except that you will likely be walking it in the dark as those Marmot staff buses run pretty early/late (not that Jasper gets that much daylight in the winter anyway - 9 to 4 is about it.)

Whistlers is a windy mountain road with no sidewalks, no lights, bush on both sides - and very little traffic (the hostel is the only reason to go up the road in the winter - the Tramway is closed). I'd recommend a flashlight or headlamp as well as a walking companion. Something else to consider - in the winter, the roving wildlife includes coyotes, elk, wolves and cougars. Not that you need to necessarily be worried about an attack or anything, just prepared to deal with wildlife encounters, which can get a little spooky sometimes. I have had friends

who were followed by wolves for some distance - not in a threatening manner, mainly curiosity, I guess, and coyotes also can be curious and unafraid of people. Elk are not likely to be aggressive in the winter (but I have been chased twice in the summer). I wouldn't even want to think about a cougar encounter (which admitedly happen only very rarely) alone and in the dark.

I don't know if you are considering this because you can't find accommodation in town, just as a temporary measure until you do, or if maybe it is more economical, but besides getting to work, how will you deal with logistics like getting groceries? Cab fare from town would be pretty pricey. I guess you could always hitch from town to the Whistlers turn-off, then walk up the rest of the way. What about socializing with your co-workers? Maybe you are wanting to avoid getting too caught up in the bar scene, but living up at Whistlers hostel with no vehicle would pretty much rule out any after hours socializing.

Stuff to think about ... sorry, I'm not meaning to sound too discouraging, just want you to have all the facts!

Alberta
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying at the hostel with no transportation

Having lived in Jasper, I'd have to agree with all of those points.

If Marmot Basin has staff accommodation (which they most likely do have some left) I'd take them up on it. The hostel would seem to be a lonely choice. I don't know how busy it is in the winter, but you'd have more fun in town, living with co-workers. Groceries, post office, liquor store (if that's your thing) are much handier when you are in town!

Staying at the hostel, you may save money as opposed to staff accom, but the trade-off will be in cab rides into town for the above-mentioned items.

Have a great winter! Let's hope there's a ton of snow!