We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental or motorhome

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
car rental or motorhome

We are visiting next year (July) and will be flying into Vancouver for a wedding. After that, we plan on going through Rockies, to Banff, Whistler, Jasper, etc and finishing in Calgary. Herein lies the dilemma: Hotels with a view are expensive; do we rent a car or a motorhome? How are camping sites? Are roads difficult to navigate?

What/where is cheapest for car/motorhome rental?

England
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental or motorhome

Have visited Canada twice, Vancouver & the Rockies, both times considered renting an RV but ended up renting a car & staying in hotels. I can therefore only say that we found the car very flexible, accomodation reasonable, clean and more than satisfactory. The roads were amazing (esp compared to Europe) well maintained and quiet (even in August!) I've been to a lot of countries, but Canada is heaven on earth and the people the most charming I have ever met....suffering from post holiday blues!!!

England
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental or motorhome

Oh yes, we rentad our car with Alamo, through Trailfinders...as recommended to me on this site. Very efficient and cheaper than booking direct.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental or motorhome

hey there itry;I would actually rent a motorhome from cruisinamerica and really see some country.the campsites especially the in the national and provincial parks are unbelievable..and you can be sitting around a campfire..instead of watching survivor,fearfactor,big brother...in a lousy hotel room --need I say more?...the cabinman

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental or motorhome

We have just returned from a week in the Rockies, with three days each in Vancouver either side of that. If we ever return we would hire a motor home and do it that way, but, being from Australia and used to driving on the other side of the road, we opted for a tour. We went with Wild Goose Tours and our only complaint was getting into towns too late at night, but we sure got to see everything!!! The downside is always the continuous unpacking and repacking, food foraging, etc.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental or motorhome

If you don't have experience with driving in the mountains and/or driving a motorhome, I'd recommend staying with a car; learning to drive a motorhome in the mountains could be a little too stressful.

The roads aren't tough to navigate, it's just that mountain driving is a special skill; it can be unnerving to novices to go around curves that cling to the edge of the mountain while you try to decelerate without overheating your brakes. (A familiar smell on the mountain stretches in summer is the smell of burning brake linings.) Is there a large hill on one of your regular driving routes? Practice downshifting (yes, even in an automatic transmission) to brake as you go downhill. Do it all the time; it will stand you in good stead when you get into the mountains. Steady brake lights are the sign of the novice mountain driver.

Banff's Tunnel Mountain campground is excellent, and some of the campsites have better views than some of the 5-star hotels in Banff. Whistlers campground in Jasper is also quite nice, although it's been quite a while since I stayed there.