We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding help

Alberta
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding help

We are most likely getting married in Jasper next spring and were wondering if anyone had any ideas for ceremony locations (outside) and photography locations.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Jasper City Sightseeing Tour and...
23 Reviews
from $108.58*
Free Cancellation
Jasper National Park Tour: Maligne...
73 Reviews
from $56.33*
Free Cancellation
Jasper Wildlife and Waterfalls Tour...
1 Review
from $57.50*
Free Cancellation
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding help

Congratulations on your engagement!

Pyramid Island is a very popular spot for weddings. Lakes Edith and Annette are accessible by car and have nice views. Annette has the added advantage of a shelter, in case of inclement weather. However, depending on when your wedding will be, it might be a good idea to check that the road to Edith & Annette is open. It is closed for the winter, and I'm not sure when it opened this year - I think it was at the beginning of May.

Here is a page of information about holding weddings in Jasper national park:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/activ13z_e.asp

If you are looking for a venue to hold the wedding as well as a party, Whirlpool group campsite or the Airfield picnic site would work. (Although the airfield picnic site is not available the second weekend of May as it is used for the local high school grad.)

If you hire a local photographer, they will be able to advise on good photo locations. Here is one local photographer that I know of: http://www.dapweddings.com/

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding help

The Edge of the Earth up near Marmot Basin would make an awesome sight, but I don't think you would want to get to it in a wedding dress.

Gives you a complete view of the valley

Mentioned in this post
Marmot Lodge
Marmot Lodge
1,033 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding help

Wheels, you seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about Edge of the Earth. I don't know if it makes you feel good to know about a supposed "hidden" place, but I think it's a really dumb idea to be posting information about it - for all the reasons I mentioned last time you brought it up - and ESPECIALLY in the context of this particular post!

Here's why:

1. As you are aware, there is parking there for *maybe* two or three cars. (at a switchback on a winding mountain road)

2. It's not a long or strenous walk (about 5 minutes & quite level), but it does require clambering over occasional deadfall, and as you yourself mentioned, probably not something anyone would want to do in a wedding dress and heels - and probably not also easily done by grandparents, older family members or anyone with mobility issues.

3. For those who don't know, it's a cliff and a waterfall, with wet, mossy ground and rocks, and no guard rails. It would be a nightmare for any wedding guests who might have young kids.

So why did you even mention it??

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,720 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding help

Wheels30;

You comment;

“but I don't think you would want to get to it in a wedding dress.”

KRP makes a very good point… why would you then suggest the location for wedding photos ?

Best Regards

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding help

I know people who would be willing to do it, just depends on the person, hell even on the style of dress.

I know people who have had there wedding at the end of trails, you know 25k into the bush!

Alberta
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding help

We want our ceremony outside but we will probably have around 100 people, does anyone know if there is anywhere that can have that many people outside? We had thought up at the top of the Gondola on the mountain or out at Pyramid or really anywhere like that.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding help

I'm sure you could find a beautiful spot near Medicine Lake or Maligne Lake that would be suitable.

Pyramid would work, but just not as nice of an area.

Mentioned in this post
Medicine Lake
Medicine Lake
328 Reviews
Maligne Lake
Maligne Lake
1,146 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding help

Hi again,

I would contact Jasper National Park at 780-852-6176 and ask them about suitable locations. Also, if you have already discussed this with one of the local marriage commissioners or clergy, you could ask him/her for their advice. Also, the photographers.

With this many people, you are going to need someplace with a good amount of parking, and presumably, somewhere where you leave your car and only have a short walk to where the ceremony will be.

If you've read the Parks Canada link I provided earlier, you are aware that holding your wedding at Pyramid Island (for instance) does not give you exclusive use of that area. So, if you do not want strangers walking through during your ceremony, I would suggest you might want to be booking a site for it, rather than just showing up somewhere and expecting to hold a wedding with 100+ people in privacy. As I mentioned earlier, the group picnic site at the airfield (overlooking the AthaB river and Colin Range) would be good, and is very scenic. There are also a couple of group campsites, like Whirlpool and Marmot Meadows (adjacent to Whistler CG). The other advantage to booking a site to hold it is that you can decorate is you like (as long as it is all cleaned up afterwards), as well as bringing in and setting up chairs etc. But the Parks staff at that phone number would be the best resource to assist you.

Don't forget that at the top of the Tramway, it is still winter-time. Even now, at the end of May, there is a lot of snow up there, and it can be very cold and windy. If you want to hold your wedding there, you should talk to the folks at Jasper Tramway... although the property is in the national park, they hold a lease on it - it is essentially private property and you can not just show up there and hold a wedding without their permission any more than I could just show up at your home or workplace and have one.

For WHEN are you planning your wedding? Also, what about plan B, in case the weather is bad? Have you considered holding it someplace like, say, Jasper Park Lodge? Or one of the other outlying resorts? Someplace like JPL could also provide you with a large enough indoor venue, in the event that you are rained out.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Marmot Lodge
Marmot Lodge
1,033 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Alberta
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding help

We have considered The Sawridge Inn and Conference centre for the reception and they can host the ceremony inside if the weather is bad. We have not actually been inside the Sawridge Inn but have seen photos and my fiances parents are going to check it out this wknd while they are there and see the room etc. Have you been in there? Do you know what it's like? Jasper Park Lodge can't hold 100 people from what I read so we crossed that idea out. I did try to look up the airfield you mentioned but couldn't find any photos on it.

Mentioned in this post
Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Jasper
Sawridge Inn and...
1,705 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding help

Yes, I've been in the Sawridge's banquet room many times. It's certainly large enough, and has a nice large lobby area too, where the "cocktail" hour prior to banquets is held. However, it is in the basement and has no windows. It's nice in kind of a bland way. If your fiance's parents can take some photos, you'll see what I mean. I was impressed by the food the last time I attended a banquet there.... it was pretty good, much better than I'd been expecting for a large, mass-cooked banquet.

The Amethyst Lodge (part of the Mountain Park Lodges group) also has basement banquet rooms that can accommodate that many - they have three adjoining rooms that can open into one large one if needed. (The Sawridge's is nicer). The Jasper Inn also has (or did have - not sure if they still have it or have converted it to other uses) an upstairs banquet room (we had our wedding reception there, many years ago), although I am not sure if it's large enough for 100+. The Lobstick Lodge also has an upstairs room with nice views, although I do not know if it's large enough for 100+, and I don't know anything about how the food is there.

I don't know if any of the other hotels have banquet rooms - you could contact Jasper Tourism (chamber of commerce) and they could tell you: www.jaspercanadianrockies.com or 852-3858

There is also the "multipurpose hall" at the Jasper Activity Centre, which can hold up to 350 people. Shirley, who does the catering there, always puts on a great spread! There is info and a picture at the Municipality's website:

www.jasper-alberta.com/modules.php…

JPL most certainly can accommodate that many; their main ballroom is huge! I was most recently there a year ago for my daughter's grad banquet, and there were 200 or more people and the place was not full. As I mentioned earlier, it gets booked for the Jasper high school grad banquet every year (the Saturday night of the weekend before the May long weekend) so if that happens to be your planned wedding date, you're out of luck.

Whether you want to pay what it costs to have it there is the question. lol The ballroom is quite gorgeous and has lots of windows overlooking the lake, and mountain scenery to the southwest, and nobody but nobody puts on a banquet like JPL. However, their booze prices are atrocious! (Bottles of wine start at about $40.) The main reason why I suggested them is because they have extensive & beautiful grounds - lots of options for ceremony and photo locations. (We had our wedding photos done at JPL, at one of the lakeside docks overlooking Lac Beauvert.)

Maybe you can get your fiance's parents to get photos of the JPL ballroom too - it's just off the main lobby, at the very far end, furthest from the front desk area. If there is no function on when they visit, they could probably just slip in and snap a few photos. Or I'm sure the lodge's marketing staff would be happy to show them and give them more information.

The airfield is an outdoor group picnic site that you can rent from Parks Canada. The little used Jasper airfield (a grass strip) is adjacent to highway 16 about 10 km east of town; commercial flights are not allowed in the park, so it's just the occasional small private plane that lands there. You access the picnic site via a gravel road from the highway. There are no facilities there other than a cook shelter, outhouses, fire pit and picnic tables. There is a gate across the access road that is normally locked unless you have rented the site, but it is possible to walk in there to look around, people do it all the time... it's quite a popular and pleasant spot - so if your fiance's parents are looking for a nice outing, have them park at the parking lot at the airfield and then follow the road in - maybe a ten minute walk in. The road ends at the picnic area, which is partly wooded, and there is a high bank overlooking the river and the Colin Range peaks on the other side of the river. I've looked through my photo albums to see if I have any photos, but I don't, so can't help you out there.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Lobstick Lodge
Lobstick Lodge
808 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Get answers to your questions about Jasper