We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maligne Lake compared with Lake Louise and Moraine Lake

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Maligne Lake compared with Lake Louise and Moraine Lake

Hi!

We will be travelling the Rockies in August. After spending some time in the Lake Louise area - camping, hiking, canoeing - we'll proceed to Jasper. I don't know if it is worth to take cruise on Maligne Lake (given that we would have taken canoe rides on Lake Louise and Moraine before that). Please share your opinions regarding this comparison.

Thanks

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maligne Lake compared with Lake Louise and Moraine Lake

Maligne Lake is significantly larger than the other two lakes. You will need to take a public tour boat to get to Spirit Island (the shot on all the posters). You can not get to the end of the lake with public transportation. Many people think the trip is worth putting up with the more touristy aspect of the trip. Personally I was somewhat disappointed but I recognize that many others will feel differently. In any event, the Maligne Lake cruise is an entirely different experience that canoeing on Moraine Lake or Lake Louise.

canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maligne Lake compared with Lake Louise and Moraine Lake

OhioPika,

You wrote "In any event, the Maligne Lake cruise is an entirely different experience that canoeing on Moraine Lake or Lake Louise."

What makes it entirely different?

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maligne Lake compared with Lake Louise and Moraine Lake

What makes them different?

1. The vistas. Moraine Lake is one of the most photographed places in the world. You see it in all kinds of ads and the old Canadian 20 dollar bill. It is surrounded by the Valley of Ten Peaks. Lake Louise sits beneath a glacier. Maligne Lake is much much larger. The tour boat takes you to Spirit Island (another oft photographed spot). Each lake has a different color.

2. There's a different feel to canoeing into the middle of a lake you can see from end to end and taking a public tour boat around a bend.