We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kamloops to Jasper drive scenery

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
3 posts
Save Topic
Kamloops to Jasper drive scenery

I will driving to the Rockies in September and am trying to decided whether to drive Kamloops to Jasper and then down to LL and Banff or across from Kamloops to LL and up to Jasper (and then back down again, since fly out of Calgary). We will be staying two nights each in LL, Banff and Jasper.

Could you compare the scenery and drive of the two routes (Kamloops--Jasper vs Kamloops--LL)? We'll do the Jasper--Banff or LL route in either route, so won't miss it. I know the Northern route is longer, but it would eliminate the repeating of Jasper rt to LL. If the route is as interesting, we would prefer that, but don't want to miss exceptional scenery, etc. between Kamloops and LL. We could also backtrack some while at LL to pick up some of it (like Yolo). Are Revelstoke and the other small towns worth choosing that route vs the Northern one?

Thanks,

Carol

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kamloops to Jasper drive scenery

I haven't done the northern route, but I've found the drive through Revelstoke to be quite memorable with the road right on the side of a steep mountain face. The road between Jasper and LL goes through a valley, so you're far enough back from the mountains to be able to take them in.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kamloops to Jasper drive scenery

That is a difficult question to answer definitively, since I would say that both routes are very scenic.

One difference is that the Kamloops/Jasper route is a little slower paced, with much less traffic. I'm sure that being from California traffic doesn't worry you, but you might like to get away from it for awhile.

This route also takes you past Wells Gray Prov Park, home of Helmecken Falls. The falls are well worth a detour of a couple of hours to see the falls.

This route will also take you past Mount Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies.

Having said that, the Kamloops/LL route is also very scenic. But the #1 highway is extremely busy, even in September. I know people who refuse to drive on this highway during the summer months, because of the number of accidents that occur. I am not among that group, but the heavy volume of traffic (including big trucks) certainly does take the enthusiasm out of a trip along that road for me.

This route would give you an opportunity to see the Salmon Arm area and the very large Schuswap Lake that it lies along. Craigellachie, the location where they pounded "the last spike" when they built the original railroad from east to west coasts, is along this route. There is a nice picnic/rest area here.

You would pass through 7 avalanche tunnels between Revelstoke & Golden, along the Rogers Pass. There is a nice picnic area & visitor centre at the Rogers Pass.

I hope that serves to sufficiently muddy things up for you. lol. Sorry, but as I said, it's a tough call and would be a matter of personal preference more than anything.

- CG

3. Re: Kamloops to Jasper drive scenery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 03, 2009